Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This concerns planting the corn. I have an Earthway push planter and tractor planters. They all seem to "sow" the seed. It is common to see 3 to 4 corn plants emerge on top of each other. The seed seem to be getting smaller. I have tried to make plate holes smaller or omit some of them. With sweet corn in these parts as much as $15 per pound, I get so disgusted having to do thinning when it shouldn't be necessary. My feed and seed guy agrees with me about the seed seeming to be smaller. What do yall think?

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
I used to have that problem many years ago now with various planters, I found that if you slowed the plate speed down and speeded up the ground travel speed, you got a 'dribbling' affect, some of the plants may have ended up close together but they weren't on top of one another. It used to be quite bad with pop corn, it's a little round seed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Jim in NC said:
This concerns planting the corn. I have an Earthway push planter and tractor planters. They all seem to "sow" the seed. It is common to see 3 to 4 corn plants emerge on top of each other. The seed seem to be getting smaller. I have tried to make plate holes smaller or omit some of them. With sweet corn in these parts as much as $15 per pound, I get so disgusted having to do thinning when it shouldn't be necessary. My feed and seed guy agrees with me about the seed seeming to be smaller. What do yall think?
we have a four row i h 800 air planterworks great we plant corn with very few doubles but i used to use a row unit off allis challmers air champ planter for peas beans cucumbers they have electric fan for air pressure and you can drive plate off rear packer wheel works wel lall sorts off different seed plates available just mount 3 pt hitch to front should be able to pick single unit up at wreckers for 100 bucks i now use i h 400 with 2 800 units on it with 80 hole bean drum for peas and beans these planters are old and can be bought for a couple hundred buck at farm auctions i have it set up on 40 inch rows with 2 units and drive wheel track to wheel track for spacing even with 400 row units they will do a good job we also plant pumkins and squash cucumbers beans peas they have quick change speed change with these air planters the ih 400 hundred planters pull easy 35 hp will handle fine

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I'm with you Jim. We got our corn planter (McCormick 251) last year and planted our sweet corn with it with no issues what so ever... it was picture perfect. This year, we planted our sweet corn with the same set up and I've noticed that in certain places it does seem thicker than what I ever saw it do last year. The seeds fit through the plate just like they should, none of the settings had been changed... so I don't know. Definitely odd though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts