Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is an ice saw. It was used to saw length if ice from a pond, lake, or river and then stored for future use.
Back in the 70's several of us took various ice saws & tools, cut length of ice from a pond pulled length to shore and cut into easier to handle sizes, and then stored into an old root cellar. We put straw down first, then layer of ice, then straw, ice straw,etc. We did this just to see how well it worked. We cut about a 1000 lbs of ice and it lasted into July. The more we open the door and the more ice we removed, the faster the ice melted. I also have an ice tong but will need to find which box it's in. :roll:

·
Registered
315 Posts
My dad has grampas ice saw there was a picture of him cutting ice in the 1930's and dad had an artist paint the picture on the saw. He had ice route for
Many years before the the war ......

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
No Steve, I've never had the pleasure of using an ice saw, but while stationed at Parris Island, SC in '74 one of the duties of Base Maintenance was to deliver 600 pound ice blocks from the ice plant on base to the rifle range and confidence courses. (Now mind you I was an electrician and THIS was one of the duties.) We'd grab the two man tongs, one on each side and knock them loose with a thigh to start them sliding across the ice house floor. Then skid them right out of the huge cooler and off the dock right into the covered deuce and a half.

Surprisingly very easy to do as all was level. Loading 6 or 8 blocks, we'd head for the stations and "ice pick" them into about 6 or 8 manageable pieces and drop into the water tanks (with the littler tongs) throughout the ranges and courses. I'm probably not perfectly accurate on the dimensions, but the blocks were approximately 12" in width, maybe 2 1/2 feet high and about 48" in length. If I was smart, maybe a volume calculation would be in order to double check the aging memory... (we all know the tendency to exaggerate as a fellow gets older.) But I don't want to go with a mental exercise THIS early on a Sunday...

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
missouri massey man said:
No Steve, I've never had the pleasure of using an ice saw, but while stationed at Parris Island, SC in '74 one of the duties of Base Maintenance was to deliver 600 pound ice blocks from the ice plant on base to the rifle range and confidence courses. (Now mind you I was an electrician and THIS was one of the duties.) We'd grab the two man tongs, one on each side and knock them loose with a thigh to start them sliding across the ice house floor. Then skid them right out of the huge cooler and off the dock right into the covered deuce and a half.

Surprisingly very easy to do as all was level. Loading 6 or 8 blocks, we'd head for the stations and "ice pick" them into about 6 or 8 manageable pieces and drop into the water tanks (with the littler tongs) throughout the ranges and courses. I'm probably not perfectly accurate on the dimensions, but the blocks were approximately 12" in width, maybe 2 1/2 feet high and about 48" in length. If I was smart, maybe a volume calculation would be in order to double check the aging memory... (we all know the tendency to exaggerate as a fellow gets older.) But I don't want to go with a mental exercise THIS early on a Sunday...
At least it wasn't up hill both ways :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts