Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a LONG time to do them myself. Not so much to make money but save on the wifes checkbook :lol:

Its a old Sioux valve grinder and seat grinder (around 1950)
Did some oiling and getting things to move again and its working great!!!!!! :D :D I ground the valves for my 10-20 but aint done the seats yet.

G

·
0 Posts
We did the head on Colin's 640. Friend of mine has a set up. Bought out a auto parts store when it closed. Its an older one as well.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually buy tractors that need "alot of help" so this saves quite a bit of money.
Seen the same seat grinder with some pilots opening bid was $950 :eek: I got all of this for $200
Going to have to post pics of it in action next ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Many auto parts stores used to do engine machine work. There is a bunch of used equipment just laying around. Most will sell it for pennys on the dollar. If I was looking, I'd start asking some of the older repair shops in town who used to do engine machine work and track em down that way.

G

·
0 Posts
bertman said:
I usually buy tractors that need "alot of help" so this saves quite a bit of money.
Seen the same seat grinder with some pilots opening bid was $950 :eek: I got all of this for $200
Going to have to post pics of it in action next ;)
Think I'd of bought it too. Great deal.. We might do the head on Colin's 850 this year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
got a setup my self .
been a long time since i used on . that would of been trade school .
need some stones and coolant but have not found any yet .

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yessir, I just picked up and old Black and Decker a week or two ago needing a lot of TLC to make it work. But years ago I bought a really good one, very similar to yours. In the last couple years, I've done my 3 cyl perkins in a MF crawler, 460 ford heads, 3 cyl 201 diesel (4500 Ford) and numerous others that escape me for the moment. I ain't no professional, so I don't do the 3 angle grinds and fancy stuff on racing engines, I'm just tickled to make something run halfway decent....I will post some pics one of these days of both of them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Back about 24 years ago when I was getting in to hopping up my VW bug, my workplace had a valve seat cutter, I did my own 4 angle blend, then gasket matched the ports and did a light polish on the intake side, put some hi-rev springs on along with dual, single throat carburettors on a 1600cc dual port with a 284 advertised duration, 430" lift cam. It really woke it up over the stock heads, single progressive carb setup I had prior to that.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
EricR said:
Back about 24 years ago when I was getting in to hopping up my VW bug, my workplace had a valve seat cutter, I did my own 4 angle blend, then gasket matched the ports and did a light polish on the intake side, put some hi-rev springs on along with dual, single throat carburettors on a 1600cc dual port with a 284 advertised duration, 430" lift cam. It really woke it up over the stock heads, single progressive carb setup I had prior to that.
Man Just think, if it made such a huge improvement with the body on.....that'd sure make a VW dune buggy stand on end for sure !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts