Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember Project Help? Well, first, sorry no pics this time! Just to refresh, Project Help is a 1949 Cub that belongs to some friends, one of which has lukemia, and can no longer work on anything, so I have been working on it. What I thought was a rear main turned out to be the trans seal. I have now repalced it, BUT its leaking AGAIN!!!!!! Ive ran it maybe 3 hours since repalcement. So 2 questions, 1: The sealing surface on the shaft is fine, no wear, but I put a speedy sleeve on it anways. Im wondering if something internal could be causing it to force the seal to leak, I know doesnt sound like I want it to! I did just notice that it acts like it wants to go into first, but as soon as you let the clutch out, it jumps out. I saw no visible wear, or felt anything wore I could get my hands on. 2: I know I can split at the engine, then take off the torque tube, but has anyone split one at the trans?
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Glad you were able to get it figured out. Couldn't offer no help so just kept quiet.
So what needs to be done to first gear??? Worn? Missing a tooth?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
This might save you another split. What I do with the fords is after the repair has been made I'll load the trans up with fluid and before reconnecting to the engine I'll lower the jack to tip the nose down for a day or two with a big pan underneath. If no leaks I'll then connect the engine and adjust the trans fluid. I hate thinking the problems fixed only to have to split it again BTDT.

Kirk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
petra79 said:
Glad you were able to get it figured out. Couldn't offer no help so just kept quiet.
So what needs to be done to first gear??? Worn? Missing a tooth?

Shifter fork is bent just enough to make it want to slip in enough to make it slip out! Seemed the easiet way to put it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BruceG34 said:
Make sure the vent is open. A stopped up vent will force oil past a seal when the oil warms up.
Well, once I got it all back together, the last time, I drained the old fluid, filled it to the top with kerosene and rode it arround a minute or 2 then drained and refilled with gear oil so I was thinking if there were any vent holes, which Im sure they are, just dont remember them from when I rebuilt my Cub, they should be OK, but thanks for the reminder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kirk-NJ said:
This might save you another split. What I do with the fords is after the repair has been made I'll load the trans up with fluid and before reconnecting to the engine I'll lower the jack to tip the nose down for a day or two with a big pan underneath. If no leaks I'll then connect the engine and adjust the trans fluid. I hate thinking the problems fixed only to have to split it again BTDT.

Kirk
Well, I had it sitting slightly downhill to statrt with, and it didnt leak any then, nor when I used it. You can bet this time though Im going to do just that. Problem is though, it was only leaking when it was running. I almost went off on the things, thinking it was the rear main, but its definatley gear oil coming out..
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
John M said:
petra79 said:
Glad you were able to get it figured out. Couldn't offer no help so just kept quiet.
So what needs to be done to first gear??? Worn? Missing a tooth?

Shifter fork is bent just enough to make it want to slip in enough to make it slip out! Seemed the easiet way to put it!
Sounds like an easy fix. Good luck with it and the leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
raymonddurban said:
There are no vents on the Cub transmission. The shifter will will vent any pressure from heat expansion, which will be minimal, if any.
I'm sure you checked the input shaft bearing, but if it had any play, it will allow the shaft to wobble and allow oil to escape past the seal.

Bearing is fine, I replaced it previously.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top