Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welll machine shop got back to me, my rear head on my 730 is cooked, cracks between the valves. So doing a little research and saw a forum where similar guy in a predictment had a theory the 730 and 930 used the same head. 830 and 1030 used a identical head. This would be a great help cause where i am 730s in wreckers is a uncommon sight but 930s are everywhere. Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Make sure you double check the casting numbers too just to make sure you get the right heads. A friend of mine bought a 500 and it actually has a 930 engine in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks,
well I got a head! found through kijiji (Canadas craiglist) about 25 miles north of me a 930 that got pulled apart due to a bad knock, dad picked one up brought it in for a planing/checkout if it fails, still got 2 more to try after. 200 for top end gaskets 150 for the head.... hoping to make the tractor pulls on Sunday the 28th!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good luck! One of the heads on my 400 has 12 pins in it now!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well got new head installed today and got running, runs good except after got warm started hearing some clacking from somewhere in valve train
When it was cold I set valves to .020 clearances.. Was that too tight too loose? something else causing a ticking/clacking noise?

·
Registered
341 Posts
that might be a little too loose. Did you have the rockers refaced? They may be worn different from the oil valves and need refacing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts