1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G

·
0 Posts
Lots of farmers up here are already claiming a loss. Not looking good for some.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
i see where corn is bringing $7.50 a bushel and soy beans $16 now. Prices really jumped in the last week. Even if we get rain now, it's too late for the crops planted early, and there was a lot planted early this year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My father and I just finished our 450 acres of small square bales. The first haylot we cut (36 acres) may yield 150 bales of second cut. We haven't had a rain that soaked everything in a good month. We need it!!!

·
849 Posts
I talked to one of my farming friends Thursday, he said he's about to chop his corn for silage. He said he isn't going to get any corn out of it so he may as well use it for feed.

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
You sure that wasn't a field around Cecilia, KY :?: :? Couldda been, looks the same. :cry:
You can see here how much of the U.S. is having drought conditions. http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/
I don't think that I've ever seen drought conditions so wide spread across the nation as they are this year.

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the map Dave. New to me. Are you in the severe to extreme area to the west??

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
Ron, I'm in the center of the state about on the line between moderate and severe.
Draw a line straight south of Indy, till you hit the mod./severe line and that' close. ;)
Johndeerefan, lives just inside the Extreme line, or close, to the west.

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks Dave, I knew you were closer to Ill. from where the tractor show was.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I don't know about giving up just yet. The field across the road from me was about belt high, completely pineappled and in hold. I would have given up but we got just a couple of tenths for 3 nights in a row and the leaves uncurled and it shot up about a foot and started tassling. Its back in hold now, but there is a good chance of significant rain in the near future.
I am in the extreme drought area just southwest of Evansville In.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts