Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acquired a complete 250 with a better than average down pressure loader and a rear end parts tractor. The complete has a severe brake shaft problem, both sides and I have to decide whether to swap parts or swap the rear ends. Have never done either so I would appreciate some advice. The choice might be made for me if there is casing damage and I haven't got into it that far. Looks like I have to lift the hydraulics off at least, which I have done on another many years ago and wasn't bad with a lift tractor involved. I am guessing that the brake shafts are the topmost shafts so swapping parts might be easier.

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
I suggest you work on the parts and not the backend. Your backend apart from the brakes is probably in better order than the one you were going to put on there.
you mention a severe brake shaft problem, is it worn, seized or broken,? although I've never known one to brake.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only had time to take the outer brake assembly off and loosen the inner plate that bolts to the differential. The brake shaft bearing appears to be missing its balls which allowed the shaft to enlarge the hole through the inner plate. Next step is to read up on the manual to find out how hard it is to swap shafts and then remove the hydraulics to get access for a look. Hopefully the bearing debris hasn't bothered the gears or other bearings and is just lying on the bottom of the diff to be cleaned out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got time to lift off the three point system from the tractor today and the news is not good. I already knew that the left brake shaft bearing was toast but I now have found that the main differential casing on the right side is broken. I am guessing that there was so much motion in the shafts from the totaled bearing on the left that the left shaft managed to lever the right shaft enough to break the casing. I will take the camera tomorrow, too dirty to use it today anyway. Looks like I will be swapping the rear ends after inspecting the donor. I will want the original three point on anyway so the inspection will not add any work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts