Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1958 Ford Workmaster 601
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago I had a new cylinder head and valve kit installed on my 58 Ford 641. The new head had a very slight leak on the front right portion of the new head gasket. The shop said there was an irregularity they noted in the top of the block and it shouldn’t be and issue. That sounded a bit like a “likely cover story” since they never told me about the issue when I picked up the tractor. None the less, the tractor ran fine when I picked it up. I have been building a fence and used the tractor for several days with a hole auger. After some time, I began noticing a miss and roughness when changing rpm. I also noticed the clear plastic fuel filter began filling with mostly vapor and occasionally would fizz like a opening a coke bottle on startup, usually after an overnight sit. Several times I had to remove the fuel filter from the line and re-fill the vapor with fuel. The vapor and small bubbles would always return from the direction of carb and intake manifold. Finally, I began trying to chase down the source of the miss, backfire and vapor bubbles. I replaced the condenser, re-gapped point, replaced/gapped plugs, timed (I think), and removed and inspected carb. When I tried to time the machine, I notice the 4 degree mark would not stabilize. It was moving all over the place making timing a guess work at best. Issue proceeded to worsted, likely from tinkering too much, until the tractor, now, cannot be started. I removed the one year old carb to find what looks like exhaust soot and some fine debris in bottom of bowl. With the soot in the carb, I suspected a stuck valve (maybe soot is from backfiring) and did a compression check. All four cylinders were roughly the same at about 105 psi. I appreciate anyone’s help. Sorry for the novel.

·
Super Moderator
1,602 Posts
Is the fuel line close to any part of the motor that is hot, or very hot, this will cause vapor lock in fuel lines starving the carbie of fuel, causes missing,banging and stalling. I don't know how you are getting dirt out of the carbie into the motor, thats a new one on me. Are you sure its not dirt in the fuel tank, (it doesn't take much)
Too check if the head gasket is causing problems , take the radiator cap off ,you will smell fuel, see bubbles with the tractor running or rise and fall in water level on acceleration. Usually the points when they are set and cleaned stay good for a long time, including the spark plug gap. Check it and let me know, Cheers.

·
Registered
1958 Ford Workmaster 601
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Red Kiwi. Two days ago I had my wife sit on the tractor and turn it over while I moved the distributor to see if the tractor was badly out of time. The extra helper allowed me to notice something that I couldn’t by myself. When she cranked the engine, I could feel a slight thumping in my hand that was holding the distributor. I pulled the cap off and discovered the wire going to the points from the coil was being snagged by part of the distributor mechanism as she turned the motor over. By sight the wire looked normal. When I pulled it out it was almost severed. It was shorting. I’m sure I gave at least a cursory look to that wire before and had taken it off and on when I replace the points. That problem is solved. I timed the machine and noticed the tractor shop had put the timing at about 35 deg TDC. I rolled it back to about 8-10 degrees. So far I haven’t noticed the vapor lock issue but haven’t run it long enough to know for sure if it is still there. My theory is the constant back firing was putting back pressure through the carb from the engine and blowing soot and vapor into the line but that‘s only a WAG. Yes, I bet you’re right the carb bowl dirt is from the tank. I will do as you say and pull the radiator cap to see if I smell fuel or see bubbles.

·
Registered
1958 Ford Workmaster 601
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, I am getting ready to put the tractor fuel system back to original with a settling bowl. Someone in the past, maybe my dad, removed the bowl and replace it with an inline filter, running the metal fuel line forward from the tank between the fan and forward portion of the exhaust, then aft to the carb. It looks like the new metal fuel line has to pass beneath the intake manifold to the new settling bowl. Is that what you think? Will the close proximity to the exhaust cause vapor locking?

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
Most times an inline filter creates more problems than they solve. Returning to the sediment bowl with shut off valve is better to me.

Reactions: Rainman
1 - 6 of 6 Posts