Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed around the local convenient store/gas stations, for the past month or so,
a sign on the doors warning not to use the gasoline in small engines.
I never read any further, because I get my farm fuel in bulk from a distributor.
Anyone else know anything about this, or if it might be a local supplier problem?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've been told that the unleaded gas is not to be used in small engines, as small engines haven't been redesigned to use unleaded gas. Some say that is okay in their small engines; other say not. Don't know if there is any additive that would make unleaded gas okay for small engines or not.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Dick said:
I've been told that the unleaded gas is not to be used in small engines, as small engines haven't been redesigned to use unleaded gas. Some say that is okay in their small engines; other say not. Don't know if there is any additive that would make unleaded gas okay for small engines or not.
Everyone seems to think unleaded gas is new. It's been around forever only it was marked as white gas. Infact BS engines recomended it back in the 50's.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't been able to get leaded gas here for 25 years or more. My 20+ year old mower and tiller have been run on nothing but.
Apparently there was some problem here locally that prompted the warning. Just with small engines.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
bettyp said:
Stephenscity said:
No problems here that I have seen. Just filled up the ford and jeep had a mild heart attack but gas seemed OK. :shock: :eek: :lol:

Mike how much is gas where you live ? It is $ 3.89 here & said going to $4.00. I' send you a sympathy card Mike. :lol: :lol:
It's running 3.79 for reg TODAY who knows about tomorrow??? Seems to go up every day!!!Told Ann was going to buy a horse and buggy before long :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stephenscity said:
Everyone seems to think unleaded gas is new. It's been around forever only it was marked as white gas. Infact BS engines recomended it back in the 50's.
I thought white gas was just another name for Coleman fuel or naphtha.
After doing some research I see it also means pure gasoline without any additives.
Which is what I buy from my supplier. Alcohol and additives are put in gasoline
at the distributors terminal for what station they might be taking it.
Years ago I worked as an electrician doing maintenance at the local Chevron terminal.
Learned lots about how and why additives are put into gasoline. Three terminals supply
the fuel for 100 mile radius of Louisville, different additives added for different customers.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
BigDaveinKY said:
Stephenscity said:
I thought white gas was just another name for Coleman fuel or naphtha.
After doing some research I see it also means pure gasoline without any additives.
Which is what I buy from my supplier. Alcohol and additives are put in gasoline
at the distributors terminal for what station they might be taking it.
Years ago I worked as an electrician doing maintenance at the local Chevron terminal.
Learned lots about how and why additives are put into gasoline. Three terminals supply
the fuel for 100 mile radius of Louisville, different additives added for different customers.
Back in the 50's amoco sold what was refered to as white gas because it didn't have any lead added to it is all I know. It was clear as water and at that time everyone here used it in small engines like mowers because it didn;t give off the fumes. We probably didn't even know why then.Cost a couple cents more but then wasn't an issue then.

·
Registered
658 Posts
They might be talking about the amount of ethenol in the fuel :?: Alot of the cars and trucks might have been adapted but maybe lawn and garden hasnt?
I know the newer bio fuels are creating alot of problems on the diesel part. Maybe if they had people using E85 it was to much and ruined motors :?: :?:

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
I think the amount of ethanol added is what the problem is. I remember seeing something about this back in the winter. I am seeing ethanol at more and more stations and fuel goes up and up. Any gas with ethanol has less btus, so it will take more fuel to do the same work. I call it an invisible price increase on top of the increase at the pump almost daily.

·
Super Moderator
1,701 Posts
Jim in NC said:
I think the amount of ethanol added is what the problem is. I remember seeing something about this back in the winter. I am seeing ethanol at more and more stations and fuel goes up and up. Any gas with ethanol has less btus, so it will take more fuel to do the same work. I call it an invisible price increase on top of the increase at the pump almost daily.[/quote
I gotta agree with you. The ethanol is not friendly to alot of machines.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Most engines can tolerate E-10 (10% alcohol), but E-15 (15% alcohol) is being pushed on us and should not be used in small engines, motorcycles, etc.
This junk called ethanol is ruining anything with a carburator. Please, use fuel treatment and run the carb dry after using equipment if it is not to be used within a week. If you can find pure gasoline (try Southern States) use it in your old farm equipment.

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, that makes since about too much ethanol in the gas. Like I said, I saw the warning signs,
but didn't read any farther 'cause I don't buy gas from a station for my off road engines.
Then I started thinking (that's trouble :roll: ) and decided to see if anyone else heard about the problem.
I buy gasoline with no additives from a bulk supplier.
They blend additives (including ethanol) for their customer's needs at their terminal.
I add a bottle of Stabil, and a bottle of Seafoam per hundred gallons.
My gas stays fresh for one and a half years, before it starts to smell stale.
It usually don't last that long unless some gets left in a gallon can. :?
When I brought my backhoe home last fall I knew it had been sitting for some time.
I sniffed the gas tank and thought "that gas is stale".
Then thought about it for a minute and realized, it ain't stale, it's got ethanol in it.
Just not used to that smell. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
THe ethanol is most likely the reason they say to not use it. I had to have my Husky chainsaw serviced due to ethanol. The local Stihl dealer told me to buy only one gallon of premium at a time and put in a stabiler like Stabil to keep the gas fresh. The ethanol ruins the carb on small engines. I've used the gas in a logspliter without issues but I add the stabilier to each tank.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Bikers who don't ride often and have carburated bikes have carburater problems. I ride frequently and have no problems, but my mileage has gone from fifty to fortysix. I can't see how the junk is helping clean the air if I have to burn more of it to get where I'm going. :cry:

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
bikerdave said:
Bikers who don't ride often and have carburated bikes have carburater problems. I ride frequently and have no problems, but my mileage has gone from fifty to fortysix. I can't see how the junk is helping clean the air if I have to burn more of it to get where I'm going. :cry:
This is so symbolic of how gubbermint works, the more of it that comes into our lives is justification for the doo-gooders to push even more of it on us. So burning more cleaner, less efficient fuel that causes us to spend more money on repairs and fuel is better than burning less more efficient fuel? :?: To gubbermint it is better cuz everytime we buy something, we pay taxes. The more we have to spend, the more we pay not only with our pocketbooks but with our freedoms as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm running high octane in my arc. But gas in my hometown was 3.95/ gallon. Took 117 hard earned dollars out of my pocket today to fill up my old truck :eek:

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
The ethanol fuel when it evaporates will leave behind corn starch deposits. This is why more hardware and small engine shops are offering a additive to put in your fuel. I have never had a problem with it, yet we dont get the high concentration of ethanol that you would down south. I seem to remember that climate has a lot to do with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts