Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I'm having troubles getting my B started (1946 model year with the "long hood"). The electric starter won't even engage the gear to the flywheel. I figured the battery was dead and hooked up the 6v charger. It showed 75% charge, so I let it charge all the way up and tried to start it again. Still nothing, but the ENTIRE charge was drained from the battery.

I figure that means the battery is shorting out internally. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
1st thing id do is remove the battery cables and recharge the battery. if it still goes dead then its the bat, if it dont hook up the cables and if it goes dead again theres a short in the wireing or the starter.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
I hope you checked the battery fluid levels.

If your battery takes a charge quickly it may also be toast. Still charge it with out you cables attached (some times your regulator will drain a battery). After you get it charged, connect one cable, then as you start to connect the second, look to see if there is a spark. If it is a small spark your looking at probably the generator / regulator. Yet if you have a large spark, your starter or you have a bad cable issue. Re clean all connections, even the ground where it connects to the tractor. A little rust will do alot to hinder starting.

If your battery after charging and cleaning all the connectors it still gives you grief (hard to start). You should go to a garage and see if they have a battery load tester. If the battery checks out (doesnt matter 12 or 6 volt), then you need to do some starter service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Always a good idea to have the battery tested. Most parts stores do it. Saves you alot of trouble. 6v needs good connections and good heavy cables.

·
Registered
224 Posts
With my 6 volt system, I swore up and down that this was not the problem but it turned out to be.
Seems that the 6 volt system will build up a dark coating on the battery post and inside the battery cable. I had to sand paper both and make a tight connection. After that, it worked great.

6 volt systems need to supply a lot of current and any corrosion will stop the flow.

Also check and clean the connections at the starter and ground.

Let us know what you found.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts