Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some family issues happen a few months ago that left me not interested in my projects for a while. Through that whole deal, I moved and sold my 48 M. But the bug didn't stay gone for very long.

First tractor I bought was a 1953 Super M LP with a single front wheel. Tractor belonged to an old friend of mine who passed away a couple years back, bought it at his estate sale. His girls had several people wanting to come from miles around to buy it, but I was able to purchase it for a good price as they really wanted someone who knew their Dad to have it. It had been sitting several years, but after putting a new battery in and filing the points she came to life. Runs great, but I cant get the shifter to shift into any gear.

The second one is a 51 M with a wide front that is almost identical to the 48 I had. I'd been storing this tractor for a very dear friend of mine for the past few months, sadly we lost him on October 30th this year. After talking with his granddaughters, I ended up with the tractor and plan to restore it and take it to some of his favorite shows in his memory. I've gotten it running, but still needs some fine tuning, as well as two new rear tires and rims.

·
Super Moderator
1,574 Posts
Welcome back. Good looking Super M. It sounds as though the selectors are stuck, it can be remedied if you need help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm sure that is part of the problem, though the clutch doesn't feel right either. I can push it to about 1/2" away from its full travel before I feel any kind of resistance at all. Took the belly pan off a while back and looked up in there, here is what I saw.

It almost looks to me like the clutch is stuck is the disengaged position, which doesn't make much sense to me. Haven't had time to tinker with it much as I also purchased a Ford 2n for the girlfriend, and most of our tractor time has been going into that project

·
Super Moderator
1,574 Posts
Set your clutch adjustment on the long adjustment shaft back to the pedal so the pedal has 1" of free travel from resting against the footplate, if you are still having trouble shifting the selectors, take the pin out of the gear stick under the spring loaded cover, pull the gear stick out, get a crowbar that will fit neatly in the slot of the selectors, work them back and forward until free , because if they sit for awhile condensation will tend to stick them.
Each selector has the positions, one back, one right forward through neutral, make sure when you reassemble it to have the selectors lined up, the 3 of them, in the neutral position, then just as an aside make sure the shift lever nob that goes in the selectors has not worn badly. Good luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice farmalls. Welcome back

·
Super Moderator
8,193 Posts
Very nice tractors to bring back to life. I suspect the LP SM is a bit rare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice tractors to bring back to life. I suspect the LP SM is a bit rare.
Yes, from what I can tell it is a bit of a rarity, at least around these parts. Finding one around here with the single front wheel is odd as well. Narrow front H's are pretty common, but most of the M's and SM's I've seen around here have all been fitted with the wide front, and my Super is the only one I've seen locally with a single wheel. LP tractors are pretty common here, but they are mostly all John Deere and Case. My friend Rodger (who the 51 M came from) had an M on LP with a wide front, but that is the only other one I've seen around here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a short video of the SM running the day we brought it home

And one from the day I got the 51 running

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The machine seems to need good maintenance. But it's such a beast!
Yes they are both in need of some maintenance. The Super sat outside under a tree for the last several years. The 51 was sitting inside an old barn until the spring, but neither one of them have been ran in several years

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spent most of the day Saturday removing the old rotted tires and rusted out rims off the 51. It has taken top priority on the project list, so for now until I can afford new ones we borrowed the tires and rims off the back of the Super. Going from the 13.6s up to 14.9s really made the old tractor look better.
15.JPG
16.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG

·
Registered
413 Posts
Tires look good. Looks like its coming right along. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
8,193 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
348 Posts
You have a couple of nice Ms there which will look good when cleaned up. I see a pair of interesting Case tractors in the background in one of your photos.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts