Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a tractor.
I think its a 1958 Belarus, although the number plates make me think it is a 74... anyone know anything about these?

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
There was a dealer here who sold them for a short time in the late 80s. I did some research on them at the time before internet.
I think you're more correct about the time that tractor was built. It looks like what they were selling in the 80s, and the tractor
Belarus built in '58 had more rounded sheet metal and a grill that reminded one of Massey Harris.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! It is hard to get info about these... sounds like it is already a challenge to find parts, but even more so if I can't identify the model number. I plan on giving it a good wash this weekend and look for any signs or markings to help identify it. Runs great at least...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like a Belarus 250. If it has a 2 cylinder engine then that is almost certainly what it is. That tall steering wheel is unmistakable. We had one on the farm for years. A real tough little tractor. Never had trouble getting parts for a Belarus here in Canada.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Not trying to be the bearer of bad news.

Belarus Tractors used to be sold through Northern Tool (catalog company). In the mid 1990's getting parts for them was atrocious. I had heard of locals unable to sell them for anything other than scrap because of some service they would get on the 4 wheel drive area. Usually whom ever wouldnt get the repair done correctly.

So for your sake I hope it is a reliable tractor. If it matters, Belarus comes from the USSR (Russia). Not that it makes it less desirable. Yet if relations sour, so will the ability to get parts.

Treat it properly. Keep up with the maintenance, regular oil changes and lubrication. It should out last your lifetime.

Oh, and dont forget to head over to the member introduction area and post about yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1974 Belarus 250AS

Hello gang,

Its been a while since my last visit. I finished up the tractor rebuild and it went very well. I was able to find all parts at the time in the Ukraine at a very decent price.

Its a couple years later, and tractor has been running like a champ, except its getting harder and harder to turn over. I went down to my land where it is parked to pack it up for the winter and I put in a brand new Crown commercial grade battery that has a cold cranking rating of 1100 amps, and I still barely got it to turn over.

I decided to remove the starter (with solenoid) and bring that back home for the winter. When I cracked open the solenoid, I could see that the contact points were completely charred and black with soot, no wonder no power was getting to the starter motor.

These are the two contacts, one of which is already cleaned for comparison.

On the solenoid part, you can see the disk is also copper which was later cleaned. There is a bolt with 2 wires where the ignition connects to, and one wire that is soldered to the output where the power goes to the starter.

I am trying to bench test it now that I've cleaned everything up. Connecting the power in from the battery, ground to the casing, and touching that ignition bolt with 12V is just sparking with no movement.

Can it be that the small wires I am using can not draw enough power to engage the solenoid, and/or is it possible that the ignition wires should go to ground instead of 12V?

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Sorry I cannot help with the starter but I congratulate you on the fine work you have done on your tractor.:good:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I cannot help with the starter but I congratulate you on the fine work you have done on your tractor.:good:
Thank you. It was a summer long project, had all my neighbors wondering if I lost my mind or not. This is how she looked when I picked her up.

And this was when it was done.

Painted, cleaned every nook and cranny, swapped all the lights, wiring, tires... spent many hours, many late nights working on it. Still not 100% sure why, but I am happy with the results.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
You did a good job on the little tractor. It looks great.
Though the Belarus collectors police might give you a ticket for original paint scheme.;)
Is your loader an original Belarus piece or aftermarket brand?
It doesn't take much current to pick a relay.
I don't think the direction of current flow should matter.
When one converts and old positive ground tractor to negative.
The starter relay coil still picks without changing anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...the Belarus collectors police might give you a ticket for original paint scheme.;)
Thanks. I actually had no clue what it was for the first while so finding the right paint scheme was a bit difficult. I then played with some paint program trying different color schemes and this one looked good so I decided to just go with it. The loader looks original but there is a serial number plate on it that says "KMW Products Limited, Fort Erie, Ontario." so I assume it is an aftermarket addon.

Good info on the relay, I will play with it a bit more. It was working fine, should still be working, just better if anything. I more wanted a sanity check, which you helped with.

·
Registered
341 Posts
With the wear on the contact points in the cap and on the copper contactor that bridges between the contacts, is there still enough travel in the contactor to give a good current flow before the spring binds up? I have an Australian built Chamberlain 9G tractor fitted with the Perkins 4-270 engine and have been having the same starting issues. The parts in your photos look identical to my starter solenoid. I pulled mine apart and cleaned it up likewise and still having issues occasionally. When it doed not work, the old fashioned remedy of a tap with a solid instrument (read hammer or 12" adjustable spanner) seems to do a temp repair. Check all your connections (including starter earth return) as well. A good auto electrical repairer may have some parts to repair your solenoid perhaps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts