Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get into tractor pulling and was wondering what the best cheap horsepower is to start out with. I was thinking along the lines of Farmall H's or M's. I am a red guy but have pulled my cousins Oliver's previously. Please feel free to comment with advice!! Thanks - Gabe

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think any of the Farmalls or Olivers would be a good starting point. That's what I would
be looking at as well, if I wanted to get into pulling, and was just starting out.
Oliverguy would probably be a good person to give you some advice, as he pulls his Oliver tractors regularly and he sees what other folks are doing as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am spoiled, I am in with two of the biggest antique pullers in Southern Ohio and they are Detroit fanatics. Nothing can beat the two I run around with, but I'm only fifteen and can't afford the Detroit.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
I am spoiled, I am in with two of the biggest antique pullers in Southern Ohio and they are Detroit fanatics. Nothing can beat the two I run around with, but I'm only fifteen and can't afford the Detroit.
I'm like RJ, for the money, you can't beat an IH H or IH M or an Oliver 88.
Just my two cents worth.

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Hello Gabe, and Welcome.
From what I've seen Oliver tractors have about the best power to weight ratio for antique tractor pulling.
I've seen a few Allis WD45 pullers do really well too, but they were ballasted really heavy to keep traction.

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
I vote for Oliver as well.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Gabe,
Welcome!
We see a lot of big red M's do really well. I am new to this only pulling for the last 6- 7 years. I am a old Allis guy so that's what I bring. WZ's, WD45 or D17. I like the idea of trying to beat my self, continue to improve the tractor/s and try to have a little fun in the couple minutes on the track. The little Allis is at a disadvantage with 28 inch tires compared to the 38s on the Olivers, JD's and Red tractors.
The money part of it. Well you can go from a couple thousand for a old antique puller to a couple hundred thousand for a hopped up high performance built machine.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts