Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got all the black Walnuts cracked & shelled. Now Diane's talking about making zuchinni bread with black walnuts :D. This is a winning combination. If it was any better, you wouldn't be able to stand it. :lol: !
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,531 Posts
Steve, I love them things and have two big trees rite beside the house in the yard. We turned many freezers of ice cream here when I was youngun. Usually around July 4, all the family, cousins, aunts, and uncles would gather here at granny and grandpa's house to celebrate her birthday at an ice cream extravaganza.
Back to the walnuts, I am the one that likes them the most, and I cracked many of them as a youngun, but they just are not a priority any longer. We are usually very involved with the persimmon festival. That seems to draw more interest. The zuchinni bread sounds wonderful. Open your window for me when it is done:!: ;)
 
G

·
jwal10 said:
Black walnut cherry icecream and bannana nut bread are favorites....James
Can't remember the last time I had some Black walnut cherry icecream. Just don't see it around here anywhere. Grandpa used to make it way back when.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim in NC said:
Steve, I love them things and have two big trees rite beside the house in the yard. We turned many freezers of ice cream here when I was youngun. Usually around July 4, all the family, cousins, aunts, and uncles would gather here at granny and grandpa's house to celebrate her birthday at an ice cream extravaganza.
Back to the walnuts, I am the one that likes them the most, and I cracked many of them as a youngun, but they just are not a priority any longer. We are usually very involved with the persimmon festival. That seems to draw more interest. The zuchinni bread sounds wonderful. Open your window for me when it is done:!: ;)
I usually pick up several 5 gallon buckets of them and dump them in the drive way and just drive over them until the hulls are off. Then I put them on a drying rack until it's been cold for a while before I start cracking them
jwal10 said:
Black walnut cherry icecream and bannana nut bread are favorites....James
Now you got me hungry for some black walnut cherry ice cream ;)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,531 Posts
I have put them in the driveway Steve. Cracking them is a chore, and maybe next year I guess. :roll:
They make anything that nuts can be used in taste great :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim in NC said:
I have put them in the driveway Steve. Cracking them is a chore, and maybe next year I guess. :roll:
They make anything that nuts can be used in taste great :!:
I broke down and bought a walnut cracker Jim. I cracked about 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket yesterday in about 2 hours. Only other thing I have to help me is a nut pick. It sure saves on the fingers :D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
Jim you sound like me. They have lost their priority is the best way to say it. I'll crack a few to snack on, but everybody has passed who I know baked with them.
I agree a gravel drive is the best way to husk them. We used a hammer and one foot piece of railroad track for an anvil when I was a kid to crack them.
I always wanted that piece of track. Grandad got two and gave one to Dad. Made a dandy anvil. Both disappeared when each passed away. :? Anyway,
Sitting by the wood stove cracking walnuts was a good way to pass the time on a nasty day. A few for Mom's pan, a few for me. Just had to sweep up the
mess off the stove pad with the ash broom, and chuck it in the fire. Recycle the waste into a minute of heat in the house. ;)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top