Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been getting Breanns tractor in primer and have a couple questons:

I used spot putty to fill in some rust pits and wonder what I should use to sand it down with and should I primer over everything again

Whats the difference between Valspar tractor enamel and their restoration series paint? Anybody use both or one with good results?

Thanks Gary ;)

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
i hand sand spot puty with 220. as far as paint goes ive used the valspar stuff on one tractor and wasnt happy with the way it held up. ive done 2 tractors with PPG full urathane and have ben realy pleased on the finish and durability

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think you need to primer the whole piece but if you don't primer over the spot putty it will show thru the paint.....mike

·
Registered
320 Posts
I also use 220-240 grit when sanding. Never use anything really coarse as it will leave permanent scratch marks. Then, apply a couple of coats of primer over it when you get it smoothed out. When you wet sand the primer before painting, don't sand so much that you lose the primer covering the spot putty.

·
Super Moderator
1,701 Posts
I wet sand with 220 on a sanding block. Even though putty is suppose to be just a solidified primer, I still prime and seal over it.
Couldn't tell ya about the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I always sand spot putty with 220 or 300 and prime and wet sand. As for the paints the regular Valspar I don't care for that much because it seems to fade and not hold up that well but the restoration grade I ike a lot. I did a Ford 2000 and a 100 with them and so far have had no problems. The only bad thing is tractor supply quit carring it and I can't find it anymore. Wish I knew who did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts