Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of my barrowed my sub soiler to rip up a field to plant corn. He pull his tractor out of the garage and it started knocking. He shut it down and called me. I went over his place to inspect it. We drained the oil and it looked like chunks of the sleeve came out. I never had a sleeve come apart. it will be interesting to see what kind on damage it did and if it will be a quick fix or something a lot more.
I'll scrouge around the barn today to see if I have an engine I can loan him so we can swap them and get him back in the field while we work on his engine. worse comes to worse I can alway loan him one of my tractors.
His tractor was running good and now this. It's alway something withn these old tractors. Just another "fun" project.

Kirk

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
can you see which sleeve it is.. is itjust the lower skirt? once you pull the head you might see one that's been flappin...

keep us posted, including pics..

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
You said it Kirk, "It's always something with these old tractors."
Iterested is seeing what you find.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I feel bad. Thats a tough break,but I'll be interested to see what happened... I don't think it will be a REAL quick fix though. There got to be some pretty good damage :cry:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
you'd be surprised.. people run these old N rough. Ive seen broken sleaves removed and new one dropped in and old piston reused... ive seen a hole left empty!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we pulled it apart yesterday. I forgot to bring my camera. Basically like I thought the sleeve came apart at the the lip and the piston pulled the sleeve down and busted it up in big pieces. It was the thin sleeve. There was very little damage done. If it had been the thicker sleeve I think there would have been more damage. I thought I would find some of the sleeve still in the bore but it was pretty much all at the bottom of the oil pan. I guess as the piston came up the rings expanded out to the bore and pulled the broken sleeve down. The lower oil ring had a small piece missing but other than that everything else was it tact. The bore wasn't all scrord up from the rings. The piston, connecting rod, wrist pin all look good. This machine was shut down in seconds not minutes so I'm sure that helped. I think with a few new parts and a couple of gaskets and he'll be back in the field. Save the major rebuilt for sometime down the road.
but than again it's not my tractor he might think differently and want to do the whole thing but that's up to him. It's his money.

Kirk

·
Registered
214 Posts
soundguy said:
you'd be surprised.. people run these old N rough. Ive seen broken sleaves removed and new one dropped in and old piston reused... ive seen a hole left empty!
I have to shake my head at some of the stuff I've seen too. :lol: I don't know how they can sleep at night?? :lol:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
the odd part is.. is that parts and labor used to be much cheaper than they are now.

I've seen N engines taken apart, that had 'vintage' work done on them.

you will see where they pulled her apart and only did 1 jug.

well heck.. back in the day.. it might have only been 20$ a jug.. I think I'd have done em all.

I've seen 3 and 4 ring pistons mixed.. etc.. etc.. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts