Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My much older brothers aunt by marriage passed a while back and one of the things left to him was this old steam engine assembled years ago (I think) from a kit. I don't think I've met a luckier guy than he is !!! Why just the other day, I swear I saw a rainbow ending in his backyard !! :lol: :lol:
Since he's probably old enough to remember stoking these back in the days before electricity and running water it should be an easy task for him to fire this old gal up.

Use the tiny funnel to fill the boiler and the little tub is for holding a 'Sterno' fuel cell and sliding into the firebox.

Check out the detail on this little fellow: sight glass to check the water level, pressure guage, boiler blow down valve, oilers on the bearings and even rivits on the boiler door !! The intricate detail on the governor and flyweights is amazing.

Other than a bit of surface rust, everything is complete and everything rotates or moves like its supposed to. The drive belt from the crank to the governor has deteriorated years ago, though, and he's going to replace it with an 'o'ring.

I have no clue to its age, but guessing would put it '1950s maybe '60s ??? Anybody have an idea ??

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think it was just a look purty. My grandfather was a machinst (millwright) and made steam engines for a hobby. He had one very simular to that one only it burned coal. After that he started on scale live steam locomotives. These were done to perfect scale and burned coal. One of them, a heavy Pacific, pulled twenty men on flatcars up a one percent grade. Oh, it was three quarter inch to the foot scale.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sure wish I had one of his engines. He only had enough for his kids and none for the grandkids. My brother has our mothers as he has a place for it and I don't. This is one of the first he built and would need extensive restoration to operate on steam again.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Seeing the surface rust, I'd be very concerned about the internal rust on that boiler. Wouldn't want that boiler to blow up in your face!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stephenscity said:
Dick said:
Seeing the surface rust, I'd be very concerned about the internal rust on that boiler. Wouldn't want that boiler to blow up in your face!
He's tough he can handle it. Just light it and run!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
There you go !!... That's MY way of thinkin'. My brother is tougher than rawhide and more onry than a truckload of balking mules !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
That would be so neat to have and try to get it runnin. Thanks for sharing that Friend ;)

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
That is really nice, you dont often have a feed pump on those. The feed pump if it still works will allow the boiler to run a longer amount of time. Easiest way to clean that pump is to run white vinegar through it. Make sure you thoroughly flush the boiler as the vinegar will cause foaming.

Since we are not allowed to talk of other boards, I cant let you in on a place that would id that correctly for you. If you like I can ask and get back to you, or PM me and I will tell you privately where to go to ask about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts