Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to explain the difference between butter & margarine to a customer yesterday. Mam have people lost their survival skills.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I've worked in grocery for going on 7 years now since I've been out of high school and through college... it never ceases to amaze me what I have to explain to some people. I don't care to do it, and I realize that many may truly not know - but there are many instances that just make me worry.

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
We answer several times "how do you cook this?" everyday we go sell our veggies at the farmers market. Knowledge is a powerful tool. Those that grow or hunt their own food will be the ultimate survivors. Don't mean to sound alarmist or barbaric, but one doesn't have to look hard to see it if they will open their eyes.

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
It's a shame that you're right. I watched a documentary about twenty years ago, where they were asking intercity people where food came from.
After "the grocery store" they claimed fifteen percent answered a warehouse or factory, but had no idea after that. I don't remember what city.
Though, if that holds true throughout the cities across this land, that tallies out to quite a few people who have no idea where their food comes from. :cry:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
It is truly amazing what you will deal with talking to people - I'm not criticizing or looking down on them as I am sure that there are areas that they may know an abundance about and I would be clueless... though it is hard for me to grasp not knowing what seems so basic to survival. Working in it, you quickly see just how much money is made on marketing... it's a rant for another time and place, but the "Organic" craze (not in it's true meaning, but in the marketing ploy that "educates" the consumer) follows suit with this.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I'm sorry and don't mean to start anything but if you don't know you don't know!Think someone on here told me one time the only dumb question was the one you didn't ask.I heard one time that you are only as dumb as where you are standing. Survival??? Last time I checked we were in the 21st century and I bet that there are very few that still make their own butter.
Infact as far back as 18th century people living in towns and cities were buying and not making. I think the exchange of knowledge is the key to suvival or at least it always was. Maybe I'm all wet but I'd rather have someone ask before they make a mistake than try to fix it after.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Brandon, before I read your post, I had in mind what my comment would be. And you said it by looking at it from many different angles. Nothing on this post should be taken as offensive. People from all sorts of backgrounds no doubt have had similar expoeriences.

Now for my first impression of all this. I will sum it up this way. I have encountered many from our farmers market visits and from fighting a road through this farm whom I believe to be very intelligent folks who ask very dumb questions. I am speaking of college educated folks who are business people or elected officials. Jerry Clower commented about such things many years ago about folks that "were educated beyond their intelligence." He went on to say they "grew up on concrete and couldn't tell a porcupine egg from a cockleburr." Many folks do not venture out of their like-minded circle of friends, and don't want to, cuz it is demeaning to them. To me in the end it points to a lack of intelligence.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Very well said, Jim. I hope that nobody has taken any offense to any of this - it's the really nice thing that makes this forum unique, in that it is shared by so many people and proves that people can get along with some good common decency. I removed my post because I was afraid that something could be taken out of context and may cause bad feelings when they were completely unintended. I will be the first to admit that I know very little in the grand scheme of things - but I'm always up to learn... or if it is one of the things that I feel semi-confident about and I have an opportunity to share my experience with another to help them - I will do so gladly intentionally trying to make them not feel dumb. I try not to call a question dumb, but rather, surprising, based on our backgrounds and experiences. To say that I am surprised by some questions that I have been asked would be a very nice way to put it - but I try to answer to the best of my abilities.
However, Mike, survival is a part of everything that we do. Times are good, and yes - it is the 21st century and there are so many advantageous things that I have in my life that weren't available to generations before myself and I am very aware of it. I am also however aware that times can change, and things can seem to go backwards. I feel that an individuals knowledge of these basic necessities in life such as food, water, and shelter will always be important. As one likes to know where the water that they drink every day comes from, and what has been done to it - I feel it should be equally important to understand their food and what it really is. It isn't that they are dumb if they do not know, but standing in my shoes it is very surprising some of the questions that become posed from people concerning what they are purchasing to take home and eat. It has nothing to do with living in a town, or 1000 miles from the nearest town - but everything to do with knowledge of where food comes from and what exactly it is. If they don't understand it, how can they every be thought responsible to guide a society in the future of which it is one of the very most basic necessity? Without this knowledge, survival could become questionable based on decisions made by the uninformed or apathetic.
It isn't a matter of how far we have come in time, undoubtedly we have made it this far somehow :) But the disregard for something so dear to all of our lives is troubling for me. Not in a means of anger, but as I said before, it can worry me. That being said, I have never made a degrading comment towards any individual that has asked me one of these "surprising" questions - but rather I have done my best to give them the most well educated and experienced answer that I am able to give them, in hopes that it lights a candle in that part of their mind to burn for years to come.
Never meant to imply that I considered anybody "dumb" for posing a question - but one can not help but to have a reaction to a question concerning something that is considered basic to themselves. It is because of this feeling that we try to help others in all that we can do.
There has been no offense taken by anything said, and I mean to give none. I appreciate you bringing the point up and I hope I have clarified my position a little bit and cleared up any misconceptions that comments I made may have given. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts