Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just joined. I am from Tasmania, Australia.

I am looking to purchase a super AV at auction coming up in Toowoomba. There are over 65 internationals being auctioned, and over 120 tractors and one continental crawler, all unreserved except 6 apparently! There are a few Super AV's amongst there. Should I bid on the best looking one, or wait until the middle, or the end in order to get the best deal? I have never bought at a tractor auction, only my W I purchased in the trading post. Does anyone have any pointers?
:D
I also have my eyes on a Model H lanz! But I might post about that in another section!

Best,
Greg

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Couldnt tell ya! Ive never bought anything from an auction. Been to quite a few, but never bought anything, always got outbid before I even got started.

·
Administrator
4,347 Posts
Look around the papers and internet and see what they are going for from private sellers in various conditions.
That will give you a good idea on what they will go for at the auction. Never can tell about bidders at auctions though.
Something can go high and an identical one will go low. Just depends on how much two people want it. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
Hello IH fan, sounds like you've got a BIG decision to make. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
With that number you've got a few to pick & choose from. Some that I know, go to an auction for one particular model, but go home with a few extras, "couldn't resist" they say. :D
BigDaveinKY said:
Look around the papers and internet and see what they are going for from private sellers in various conditions.
That will give you a good idea on what they will go for at the auction. Never can tell about bidders at auctions though.
Something can go high and an identical one will go low. Just depends on how much two people want it. ;)
That's about it in a nutshell.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I love going to auctions and it all depends on the crowd. Seems a lot of times whatever I want is what everybody there comes after but sometimes you get lucky. I always tried to go on mechanical condition the best I could on what I would pay but something a old man told me one time that pretty much rings true is paint always sells higher on something than in the can. Good luck looks like theres going to be plenty to choose from.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I would say that the Super AV would be a very nice tractor to get a hold of, with the extra clearance that it offers. Best of luck with the auction. Does the tractor have any cultivators or a side dresser with it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm only 5 minutes from this auction site so all well, will be going along to have a look and hopefully catch up with you Greg. May-be, something might get carted home on my trailer afterwards. The vendor is retiring from a successful tractor & header wrecking business and looks like as many were kept intact as those that were parted out. Some had been restored and these were exhibited in style at our local shows.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here are some of the tractors that were on offer at this auction last week-end. Some good prices , some cheapies and some taking a lot of work to get them looking like they should again. 10% buyers premium was added to these knock-down prices.

Allis Chalmers 190XT Sold for $3400

David Brown Cropmaster high-clear conversion Engine seized & bad panel rust

Ferguson extra narrow (probably on farm modified)

Ford 2000 row-crop & Continental crawler

Ford County 4WD model 1454 sold for $16000

IH Farmall 706 - sold for $3700

IH 756 joined up to an Allis Chalmers grader frame

IH 1468 V8 powered - sold for $9000

An Oliver 1900 in the line-up - the headers behind were not in the sale

Some of the larger internationals

A view of the crowd

·
Administrator
4,347 Posts
Looks like a great day for a sale. The 10% buyers premium is the norm around here.
They all look ready for some tlc. What did you come home with?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts