Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bye-bye, I'll be gone for a few days. Gonna go down to see my Mamma for the weekend. Everyone is fine, just wanna go down to see her.

·
Super Moderator
7,869 Posts
Be safe and have a good trip Dave. Take a jacket for Sunday :!:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a great trip! Mamma was glad to see me, as she has been worried about my health, and I LOOK healthy.
We went Cypress Church for supper at the Harvest Sale. Mamma started the Harvest Sale in 1954, and it is still going strong. Cypress Church is near the farm I grew up on and about twenty miles from Aberdeen where she lives now. We left the farm in 1958 for Aberdeen.
On the way to Cypress we went by the old home place and found it burned to the ground. Nobody lived there, so I guess nobody was hurt and burning was about the best thing that could have happened. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
270 Posts
bikerdave said:
Had a great trip! Mamma was glad to see me, as she has been worried about my health, and I LOOK healthy.
On the way to Cypress we went by the old home place and found it burned to the ground. Nobody lived there, so I guess nobody was hurt and burning was about the best thing that could have happened. :lol: :lol:
We had people breaking into Grandma's old buildings even though the doors were nailed shut and there was nothing inside. Our insurance company told us to get rid of the buildings as some trespasser could get hurt in there and the courts would likely rule that WE were guilty of maintaining an "attractive nuisance" that trespassers couldn't resist and we would be held responsible. We had a real thick fog a couple days later so nobody could see the smoke so we set all of the buildings on fire. The fog didn't go away until after the buildings were down to ashes.

Took the bulldozer and buried the foundations so we could farm the building site, with a drop in the price of our liability insurance.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a tour of the house a couple of years ago, there was NO insulation or sheathing in the walls, and a lot of rotten studs. The place wasn't in the best of shape when we lived there, and the years weren't kind to it. Course Daddy sold it in the early sixties, so we had no liability. A lot of these old farm houses that nobody has lived in for years need burning. Ridding though the countryside it amazes me to pass a mansion and right next door is a falling down shack.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Biker Dave glad trip was good and glad you looked Ok with Moma.
You never get to old for Moma not to worry anout you.

·
Super Moderator
7,869 Posts
Dave, glad you had a great visit with your Mom. I have the same problem with old buildings on our "new farm" The house could be made livable, but it is not worth the cost or hassle to me. The feed barn is standing on borrowed time. An old garage is leaning. One shed can be remodeled and made bigger. That will probably be the first chore. At some point, the house may be burned, but it has asbestos siding and will require special handling. Another solid small building needs to be cleaned out and could be used for storage. The two tobacco barns are good structurally and can be used for storage, cookouts, camping, etc. They were used by me until 2005, then by a neighbor for 3 to 4 years. It is not wise to put anything of value there though. Thieves have visited twice in less than 2 years. :(

·
Administrator
3,965 Posts
Glad you had a safe trip, and good visit. I know it makes you and your mom proud to see something she started is still going strong.
It's always interesting to see what changes where you grew up. Like Jim, I've got old buildings and an old asbestos coated house that I will have to deal with one of these days. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts