Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to ATF! Great place here with great people! The first thing that came to mind was a netting needle. Then I thought about it more and there's no good way to wrap the line around it. Do you know for sure if it's for a tractor?

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
Welcome Doup to ATF! I am clueless although I think Clem could be on to something. A needle or guide to thread a cord or rope-like material through similar material?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,
This looks like a Morse Taper drift key. Machinists use these thin wedge tools to remove (release) drills with Morse taper ends that have been installed in a machine (e.g. lathe). The big round hole on the left end is just to store the key on a hook. The center opening kind of looks like someone had a bad moment with an arc welder; not sure.
I hope this helps.
Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome to ATF. I would agree that it's a wedge to remove drill chucks or other that use a taper for holding a part in place. I have seen it used by others beside machinist but can't remember where.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! I can't think of having seen the drift wedge used other than for machine tooling, but it certainly could be so I'm sure you're right. A taper fit is useful in connecting radial loads, so drive shafts and axles might be candidates? Maybe with a bolt backup just to make sure?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts