Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I noted in the profile information, I am a photo-historian who helps people get information from old photos. As an example, an island in the Delaware River between Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Burlington Island, has the abandoned tractor pictured below. I'd like to know the make and model (just for curiosity's sake) but especially the year of manufacture, of the tractor:

·
Administrator
3,964 Posts
From what I can see it looks like an Oliver 77 or 88. Built from the mid 40's to the mid 50's.
I don't know where it got those yellow wheels though. It should look like the one in this link.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31

I'm not expert enough to remember where the serial number is to identify the exact year, or model.
But both the 77 and 88 had a six cylinder engine as that one does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dave, from what I can see you are right on. And the story that went with the other Oliver you linked to was beautiful. I would give my left arm to be able to find one of the two tractors I grew up with on my Uncle's truck and dairy farm in NJ, and be able to restore it. Alas, I now live in Arizona, and that's not gonna happen.

Rich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is another unknown. Spotted in front of a ranch house in Safford, Arizona - it likely isn't as old as the first:

·
Administrator
3,964 Posts
That tractor and farm where the gentleman worked was three or so miles from where I lived growing up.
I knew the farmer, but didn't meet "whjco" till a few years ago, on this site. He dropped a name that
brought back wonderful memories, and I found out it was his mother that was a great inspriation in my high school days.

That one looks to be a 800 or 900 series Ford. I'm leaning toward 900, built from '54 till '57.
The exhaust was optional above or below. Lots of farmers changed the below exhaust to above.
As the below exhaust was responsible for lots of hay field fires. Happened to several different folks I know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And now, on a personal note: Here I am in 1951, just under 2 years old, on my uncle's farm. Upon what am I sitting?

·
Administrator
3,964 Posts
You're sitting on a 2N Ford. Built from '42 to '47.
The Ford 2N was a variation on the 9N introduced due to World War II.
By designating a new model, Ford was able bypass wartime restrictions on price.
The 2N has some component changes, and deletions due to wartime shortages.
The I-beam steering radius arms other than solid oval, is the most distinctable difference to me.
Though some 2N's had the oval arms due to production stock from the 9N, at the beginning of the model.
Ya know, I don't have a photo of a 2N, but I bet you can find one browsing the Ford board topics. ;)
I really like the old photo, thanks for that. Nice to remember how thing were. Seeing this "old iron" working when it was new(er). :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Dave. I have wonderful memories of that farm. I was taken out of school until I was in 9th grade for various farm chores, and always worked in the summer, both with the milk cows and with the crops.

My family boarded Elsie, the Borden Milk Company cow, for a number of years.

Rich

·
Registered
98 Posts
this trip down memory lane has me thinking about a pair of Farmall M's my grandfather had. I remember cultivating a tater patch with one of them. One he called "the M" the other he called a super M. I'm thinking it was actually an M T/A, but have no clear memory of an extra shift lever.

G

·
0 Posts
9N had the I beams and the 2N had them till mid 44. Others might be able to pick up on other things to help ID.
Neat picture...

G

·
0 Posts
BigDaveinKY said:
That tractor and farm where the gentleman worked was three or so miles from where I lived growing up.
I knew the farmer, but didn't meet "whjco" till a few years ago, on this site. He dropped a name that
brought back wonderful memories, and I found out it was his mother that was a great inspriation in my high school days.

That one looks to be a 800 or 900 series Ford. I'm leaning toward 900, built from '54 till '57.
The exhaust was optional above or below. Lots of farmers changed the below exhaust to above.
As the below exhaust was responsible for lots of hay field fires. Happened to several different folks I know.

900 would be my guess as well. 800 was the utility and the 901 had the egg crate grill (though we can't really see it in the first picture).
Good tractor either way.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ford ?N

Petra79 is right!

My dad had a 2 and a 9; the 9 had the I beam radius bars, while on the 2 they were hollow like the 8N's.

It was also a better little tractor. Both were great little horses! Still love all the N' series Foords-- even the NAA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The first tractor you posted a picture of is a 1940's Oliver 70 not a 77 or 88 like previously stated. You can tell this by the intake being on the opposite side than a 77 or 88 also the rounded nose, seat assembly and dash all point to a 70. Hope this helps I really enjoy all the pictures of rusted forgotten jewels.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
1,508 Posts
Oliverlover982 said:
The first tractor you posted a picture of is a 1940's Oliver 70 not a 77 or 88 like previously stated. You can tell this by the intake being on the opposite side than a 77 or 88 also the rounded nose, seat assembly and dash all point to a 70. Hope this helps I really enjoy all the pictures of rusted forgotten jewels.
Joe
I agree, its got a 70 nose cone, a pity you couldn't see the casting at the bottom of the radiator, that would solve it. Looking hard at it there looks to be a 70 written on there. Or am I presuming too hard. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
The biggest give away telling its a 70 is the spark plugs on the left side of the tractor continental engines are in a 70. Most the rest of the Oliver's have a Waukesha motor in them and the intake etc is on the left.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts