Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Case 1570 on which I recently installed an Artsway 4000 loader. It all went together fine but the front wheels rub the siderails when cramped sharply. The simplest solution appears to be setting the wheels out a notch. However, the two big bolts that go through the telescoping axle won't budge. Getting the nuts off wasn't a problem but those bolts have a head that's flat on two sides and they refuse to turn. Also, finger spinning the nuts partially back on and tapping yields nothing; in fact, the taps sound absolutely solid as though the bolts are part of the axle. Does anyone know the trick to getting those bolts out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a Case 1570 on which I recently installed an Artsway 4000 loader. It all went together fine but the front wheels rub the siderails when cramped sharply. The simplest solution appears to be setting the wheels out a notch. However, the two big bolts that go through the telescoping axle won't budge. Getting the nuts off wasn't a problem but those bolts have a head that's flat on two sides and they refuse to turn. Also, finger spinning the nuts partially back on and tapping yields nothing; in fact, the taps sound absolutely solid as though the bolts are part of the axle. Does anyone know the trick to getting those bolts out?
I'll answer my own question in case others have it in the future. It took a lot of hammering but one bolt is out. What appears to be a 7/8" bolt is a piece of 1-1/2
" round stock with a short section of 7/8" threads milled into one end. The piece goes completely through the axle and butts up against the inner surface of the outlet side on which goes the nut. Having been in place 43 years, a 3 lb. blacksmith hammer offered little satisfaction. A 12 lb. sledge did the trick on one bolt but even that hasn't dislodged the other three. I think I'll try applying heat to the flat axle surface around those bolts and see if I can get enough expansion to knock them loose. The one that's out had to be hammered all the way through. Once I could no longer leave the nut on, I finished driving it through with a chunk of 5/8" rod. The bolts are high grade steel because the threads weren't damaged.

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Looking at your pic and.the bottle jack reminded that once I used a jack horizontally to push something our or push two things apart. I have no clue if you could rig up something like that, but just remembered doing it once. Best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts