Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new chainsaw. The manual recommends 89 or higher octane fuel.
Here's the thing....a gallon of fuel mix will last me several months when I'm just doing normal storm clean up.
If I go and buy a gallon of gas at a single hose, multi-grade dispenser, "one third to one half a gallon will be what was left in the hose and pump from the previous purchase". Most likely 87 octane regular. If I were filling at least a 2 1/2 gallon can, it wouldn't matter. I don't know of a station around here that isn't single hose dispensers any more. So that's not an option. I keep bulk storage for my tractors, mowers and everything else that's regular 87 conventional gas (no alcohol). I've always used it in my old chainsaw, but that manual doesn't recommend other. I bought it a few years before the turn of the century best I can remember. Anyway, I'm thinking of using an octane booster suitable for 2-stroke engines. Or is it just snake oil ? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Dave i don't know how much I can help you, but I have a chainsaw story to tell you. If you have much of a warranty at all I suggest you run at least 89 in it. A lot of folks here run premium in them. The local Stihl dealer sez premium even though Stihl sez 89. We need to talk. It is long overdue. A suggestion would be to go to the store with 2 cans. Set pump for 89. Catch one gallon, put it in tractor, then catch another gallon in the second can for the saw. Another option is to take one can and pump a gallon in your vehicle and pump the second gallon in the can.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Jim, That sounds like the best solution at the pump to me.
Gallon in the tank, and rest in the jug, with the choice of 89 or premium.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why not just buy the pre mix in either quart or gallon. No mixing needed

I just bought a new chainsaw. The manual recommends 89 or higher octane fuel.
Here's the thing....a gallon of fuel mix will last me several months when I'm just doing normal storm clean up.
If I go and buy a gallon of gas at a single hose, multi-grade dispenser, "one third to one half a gallon will be what was left in the hose and pump from the previous purchase". Most likely 87 octane regular. If I were filling at least a 2 1/2 gallon can, it wouldn't matter. I don't know of a station around here that isn't single hose dispensers any more. So that's not an option. I keep bulk storage for my tractors, mowers and everything else that's regular 87 conventional gas (no alcohol). I've always used it in my old chainsaw, but that manual doesn't recommend other. I bought it a few years before the turn of the century best I can remember. Anyway, I'm thinking of using an octane booster suitable for 2-stroke engines. Or is it just snake oil ? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Couple Ideas:
1 - What I was told when I bought a new chainsaw. Put the first gallon (or 2) in your vehicle, then fill up your gas can(s). This is what I do when I cam cutting firewood and using more gas.

2 - If you only use a small amount then you can buy the supper expensive (pre-mixed) Sthil gas. The disadvantage is the price, the big advantage, besides the right octane, is the lack of ethanol so that your gas will not gum up your machine if left in for a while.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas guys. I did find a solution to my dilemma.
1. Good idea but my truck runs on diesel.
2. Premixed stuff is way overpriced at $19+ a gallon.
3. Solution: I found an oil terminal that sells 90 octane ethanol-free gas at the pump within driving range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought new chainsaw too. I choose jonsered one. Because my friend suggested Jonsered 50cc 2-Cycle Gas on bestchainsawadviser with easy maintenance and easy snap and release mechanism. Plus it has a good anti-shake mechanism. I use of 89 octane fuel.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Jonsered are good saws. One reason they didn't make my short list is that no local stores sell them off the shelf.
It's been my experience for lawn and garden equipment around the town I live. If one wants quick and easy access to parts when needed....buy what the local dealer stocks. I wound up with an Echo as they had the longest warranty
Comparing what saws I did side by side didn't reveal much difference in quality and workmanship.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had a jonsered and liked it quite a bit. Last year someone broke into our garage and stole it. You know, red and almost new, got his attention.

Turns out it was some sort of blessing in disguise. Got a couple of old homelite. Put a new carb kit on the little one xl-12 and I love it. I run premium gas in it usually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts