Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 420 John Deere. I want to change it over to a 12 volt system. Does anyone have a diagram that I can follow to change it.? Do I have to change the starter over to 12 volt also.? Where would I get the starter.? thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
You do not need to change the starter. If I had changed my 40S I could send you a diagram. I have changed an Allis C and several Farmalls. I'm not sure they would be the same as a 420. I made my own alternator mounting bracket. You need to use a ballast resistor to use your present 6 volt coil. You will no longer need a voltage regulator. Change your light bulbs to 12v bulbs. Steiner tractor probably has what you need for your job.

Reactions: RacerX

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
James thanks for posting this info. I have the 40S that belonged to my Grandaddy. I have left it with a 6v system for years simply because it worked fine. I am ready to change to 12v though because I know I will use it more. The price and availability of 6v batteries is a large part of my decision.

·
Registered
16 Posts
James thanks for posting this info. I have the 40S that belonged to my Grandaddy. I have left it with a 6v system for years simply because it worked fine. I am ready to change to 12v though because I know I will use it more. The price and availability of 6v batteries is a large part of my decision.

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
Nope. Put the alternator on, change to negative ground, reverse the connections on your amp meter. My Farmalls are mostly done like my Allis C.

Reactions: oliverguy

·
Registered
2 Posts
CASE VAC14 Can the original GENERATOR be rewired to produce 12 volts.. Right now it is all changed to 12 volts with an alternator - would like the original "Look" with 12 violt system. How do you do it, or better yet where could you get it done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts