Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

new question for ya all.....I have a 53 Jubilee that runs great now thanks to you all. It has a generator, not an alternator, but is also has a 12v neg ground battery. When the battery is charged, it starts and runs fine but will eventually lose charge and not start. I have not run it for very long yet - maybe only 10 minutes at a time to putz around .

So, I am assuming that its a 6v generator and not a 12v and that the battery is providing the difference? Should I just put in a 6v battery, or will I need a new coil too ?...or voltage regulator also?...or maybe tear it all out and convert to alternator?......its going to be a working tractor for the old family farm

I am fairly competent at fixing most things, but I am a bit confused on this issue.

thanks!

Jon

·
Super Moderator
9,033 Posts
Pardon me but are you sure you have a 12 volt battery? Check the voltage across the battery when fully charged. Then check the voltage when running at idle then at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle to see if it is being charged. After you use the tractor a while and shut it off check the voltage across the battery again. Also make sure your belts are tight. If the generator has a tag with a part number you might be able to research it on the net and see if you have the right generator. If not see if the right number can be found on the net. Finally it might be best to take to a repair shop, and let the folks there check it out. They will know what it is.

·
Administrator
4,805 Posts
Jim's right to check things, but if it were me ....and it was at one time. I would just do this....

FDS1102 - ALTERNATOR CONVERSION KIT (steinertractor.com)

If someone hooked reverse polarity between a battery and working charging system, then something is fried. Hands down,,,no doubt. I worked with electricity for thirty years. Your charging system isn't working. You'll likely spend just as much repairing or replacing the generator and voltage regulator. As well as the price and availability that 6 volt batteries are becoming. With a kit there's no having to field engineer, and I'm sure it comes with instructions. If not, Steiner's will have a video showing the how to. Just remember to buy new 12 volt lamps, and ammeter. I just bought parts and redid my wiring, and fashioned a bracket, but I was comfortable doing that. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep - its definitely a 12 v battery - there isnt a plate on the generator that I can read. Maybe I am wrong that it is neg ground......the ammeter often wont read anything unless I rev it up - then it will go all the way to the right

Since posting this, I have read about some folks that use a weird setup of a 6v generator and a 12 v battery and just keep on charging the battery when it gets low.....I want this to be dependable, so I will likely order a full 12 v kit

Building Screenshot Automotive tire Font City
Fish Automotive tire Electric blue Recreation Fish hook
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Font Vehicle

·
Administrator
4,805 Posts
The number on the back of your generator OHA-10125-A makes it an original 6volt generator for that model tractor. So you wouldn't be wrong about it being positive ground unless someone
had changed it. Though it does look to have been rewired at some point fairly recently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the fella I bought it from said that he burnt through a couple of coils - but, since I got the firing order and timing in shape, I have not noticed the coil being hot at all.....although I have only run it 10 minutes here and there.....tomorrow I am going to pull some nice cherry logs out of the swamp if I can

I guess its possible that the generator was rewired to 12v?.......another thing to check out

·
Administrator
4,805 Posts
the fella I bought it from said that he burnt through a couple of coils - but, since I got the firing order and timing in shape, I have not noticed the coil being hot at all.....although I have only run it 10 minutes here and there.....tomorrow I am going to pull some nice cherry logs out of the swamp if I can

I guess its possible that the generator was rewired to 12v?.......another thing to check out
NO !!.....and to switch polarity it would have to be done internally. From your photos you have the original charging system for that tractor. A 6volt positive ground generator and voltage regulator. Which most likely ain't working. Especially if the battery is hooked negative to ground. The guy you bought it from just threw in a battery he had laying around when he decided to sell it. It ain't something uncommon.
So to fix your problem you'll need to repair the charging system along with the appropriate 6volt battery or convert to a 12volt system with a self-regulating alternator and switch to negative ground. For a working tractor I suggest the latter. One less device to quit working and in my opinion more reliable. The starter does NOT need to be replaced when switching to 12volt. They are sturdy enough that the extra amperage doesn't hurt them for the short period it takes to start an engine. The benefit is that the starter spins a bit quicker making starting easier. Yes, it will spin the correct direction even after switching polarity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts