Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This kindda goes along with Mike's Chinese Sandpaper. :| Why I don't like buyin' Chinese.
I figured that I'm gettin' too old and broke down to chase lawnmower, (and other) tires around the garage floor with a prydriver and tiretool, and in three seasons I ran the two ply front tires that came on the lawn tractor bald.
One I've been addin' air to for the past two years. So I decided it was time to get a portable tire changer to install two new Carlisle (made in U.S.) four ply front tires.
Lots of net searchin' and callin' around I decided to buy the Chinese one that TSC offered at $55, and only drive 58 miles round trip, (closest TSC location that had one in stock)
other than a more expensive ($99) Chinese one, that I would have to travel 165 miles round trip to purchase at Harbor Freight.
The box claimed that it would work with "8" rims with small spindle holes thru light truck sized tires." Back to that later. :? Got it home unpacked and ready to assemble.
First thing I noticed is that the side "feet" didn't match the height of the main base. One had to be cut down 3/16" and the other had to be shimmed 3/32" to be level with the main base. :roll:

Not havin' anything but a sawzall to cut steel with I opted to use the angle grinder to cut quick close to my mark, even it up with the smooth wheel on the bench grinder, then with a flat file and t-square put the finish on it.
The other I used a flat washer and a few pieces of banding, (Ancient Elevator Man Secret), to get the height I needed. You'd be surprised how many elevators and escalators have banding shims, either steel or nylon for gettin' things dead square, and for clearance. When you only need 1/64" or 1/32" difference.
Anyway back to the tire changer. Now ready to go :?: .... Not yet, :cry: .... the box lied. No way to fit the spindle hole of the rim on the changer. :evil:
Back to TSC (local one this time) for a stick of 3/4" allthread, washer and nut to make an adaptor to accept a spindle hole rim. The changer had a hole drilled at the top.
So I slid the all thread through the top drilled and tapped a hole through it for a 1/4-20 to go through the pre drilled hole in the changer. Slipped the rim on the allthread tightened it enough to keep it from spinnin.'
Then slid a piece of 3/4" heavy wall conduit over the allthread to protect the threads and use for the pivot for the tire tool. Got it done, and new tires on the mower. :D
Didn't plan on half a day to Fabricate a tire changer, but did anyway. I'll get some photos of the finished adaptor up soon. Was just too frustrated, and needed to get done, so the the camera didn't get back out. ;)
Maybe I shouldda just chased them around the garage floor. :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
ah i hate that when that happens! seems as tho the folks that make stuff like this dont never have to assemble them :lol: look on the brite side atleat ya got it together and it should work next time ya need it

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Sorry ya had such bad luck. You would think that buying something brand new it would atleast work once???????????????Your a better man than me I believe I would have just taken the thing back.If they have to eat enough of this junk maybe they'll start carrying quality!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
You already know this Dave, but it speaks volumes when we have to "fix" brand new things before they can be used :!: :x

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Dave, thinking about your 6'4" (or thereabouts) frame in a wrestling match with an 8" lawnmower tire and I had to chuckle...just last week I changed an 8" tire on a pressure washer and it was like a fight to the death !!!! I mean it was a fight all the way to the END !! Not wanting to repeat that anytime in the future....Thanks for the laugh. Even the part about the tirechanger was funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Probably not to you, but it is for those of us that have BTDT with something similar.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right Bert, It weren't that bad to correct. ;) I've had my company send me worse fitting things to put together, and make safe for people to ride daily.
Mike, I wouldda took it back, if the only other "inexpensive" one that I could find in stock, wasn't over 75 miles away. :cry:
Wendell those little tires seem to be harder than the bigger ones, and holdin' it with a knee ain't as easy as it used to be. :roll:
As far as done it before... you're an old fitter and duct man, you know what it's like between what the company sends you, and what you gotta do to put it together. ;)
And, Yea Jim, "Pride in quality of workmanship" must not be a big concern in Chinese exports.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts