Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wood burning furnace that adds on to the electric furnace that cost to much to use. The smoke stove pipe has to use a couple of elbows to allow the wood burners heat duct to hook to the main heat duct. I check it every fall before I fire it up for the first time. Usally replace it every 3 years too, this was the third year.
We haven't had a fire in about two weeks as the day time temps have gotten high enought to heat the house during the day and allow it to be confortable at night. But Monday with the high winds and low temp for the day it sucked enough heat out of the house I built a fire Monday evening. I let it go in the morning Tuesday as the coals will remain hot enough to fire any wood I happen to throw in it up to two days.
Tuesday the weather guy said we would get a hard freeze so I thru in a couple of good sized chunks for the night, was 7:00PM.
I was just getting ready to shut the door when when the top elbow partedat a seem and the upper part of the pipe came tumbling down filled the furnace room full of choking smoke causing the eyes to watertoo. Kare starts yelling up stairs that smoke is coming out the regusters too. I quickly grabbed a 5 gallon pail I have to fill the evrapitors with and filled it full of water 3 times I thru it in on the fire to choke it out. I opened the walk out door up and got a fan to blow the smoke out down staires. Went up stars and found Kare had did pretty much the same thing only she had windows she could open.
I didn't have a spare elbow so I dresses in the town colths and know only one place would be open that might have an elbow, Home Depot. I get there and walk to the asile where they had the stoves and all the fixens last fall when I was looking at a new stove. their all gone so I ask a stocker where they are at now. He says what they didn't sell they sent back to the MFG said I would have to wait till morning and go to a place that sells wood stoves and the fixins.
I don't want to wait till morning as it is going to get cold and I just can not afford the electric heat to come on (got to get rid of that furnace).
I drive the 20 miles to a Lowe's walk in there at 9 minutes to 8:00 and the girl at the return deask says hi to me as did a couple of stockers walking down the main asile.
I go to the asile where I had seen the pipe before and there it was as big as life nearly 30 feet of shelving full of pipe from the double wall 8 inch stuff to the tiny 4 inch stuff a gas water heater would use. I decide that I am buying a spare every thing so next time I'll be ready.
Lady at the check out was very plesant and talked about how cold it had gotten after last weeks heat wave. She gave me My vetrans 10% discount and said to have a plesant evening. I sure like that store. wish they woiuld get around to building the one they said they were going to build in our town.

I go home and kare has the house pretty much smoke free, says she is worried about the bird getting cold so was closeing windows. It was down to 39F in there. I take the stuff I need and the elbow down stairs and fix the stove pipe even taking the time to screw it together.

I get a bunch of the scraps bit of wood shivers from the wood spliter and build a nice pile on top of the wood I had just covered with water a little over an hour before. I get the torch and fire it up setting fire to the slivers. It caught and took off so I added a few bigger scraps pieces. An hour latter I went down to shut the draft and intake up for the night and returned up stars looking at the inside temp. It was up to 63 all ready.

Wednesday morning was much warmer by 10: 00 Am so I opened windows and door and got the rest of the smoke smell out of the house. Probably some one not used to the smell of smoke could walk in the house and smell it but we don't.
I really would like a outside wood burner. I need to win that big lottery.

:D Al

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
That reminds me of what happened with my grandmothers big kerosene heater. She had one of those you vent up a chimney, like a Perfection, but it wasnt a Perfection. She had just gotten it, and was still use to her old one. There was knob on the back, marked 1 - 5. That controlled the amount of oil going into the burner. You pushed the primer once or twice, turned the knob to 3, lit the flame, turned it down to 1 or 2, and let it go. This one had a fan on it, to help circulate the air, her old one didnt. Anyways, she set the thermostat on the wall to 70 from all the way down, the burner whooshes up like its suppose to, a few moments later the fan comes on, and all seemed to be right! Well, after a couple minutes of running, she decides the heat is "too hot", and goes to turn down the knob on the back to 1, but this knob turned the opposite way her old did, and instead of going down to one, she accidentally turns it up to 5. Within seconds flames are coming out of the burner, the top of the heater was begining to buckle, the "tape" as I called it, over the pipe seams was melting (I didnt put it in, the company she bought the heater from did, was suppose to be the right thing for her application), and smoke was filling the house just as fast. I called 911, ran outside and turned off the valve from the main tank. I ran back in to get Granny, since she was insistent she could put it out, but by this time I couldnt see here, nor could I breath. Had the fire dept. not showed up when they did, Im sure we both would have died that night. Anyways, the people who installed it came in the next day, repalced her heater, and all was well.

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Glad you got things fixed. That smoky smell can get in everything, clothes, bed linens, etc. if it stays in the house too long.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wood Smoke

Well although when its thick in a house i don't like it. A mild tint of cedar smoke or some of the other natural wood smells GREAT!

I am a former smoker--quit or die is what the DR. told me 40+ years ago (Dec. 1966). Now that smell literally makes me sick! Eyes swell shut nose does too and become slightly nauseus.

A good campfire is still a wonderful smell. Even some prarie fires smell nice!

Also former ND volunteer fireman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts