Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone hopes their project will end as a jewel, this one started out as a Jewel. Jewel walking plows were built by Oliver from the latter 1800s through the 1920’s. Not sure if Jewel was a brand name, or a subsidiary of Oliver (like Chattanooga for International). Maybe some plow or Oliver folks could weigh in. This one is a J3, which is stamped or cast into every piece.
The plow was my grandfather’s. It had spent the last 70+ years in a scrap pile, and then a flower garden. I hauled it home last summer. The depth wheel had gotten separated, and I had picked it up about 20 years ago. A couple times I nearly cut it apart to use for other projects. When I started researching the Jewel plow, I found a historic picture and realized I already had the missing wheel.
Now for the Holiday part. An odd set of circumstances involving, airports, diseases, and bad weather meant I spent Christmas in my shop. Christmas morning I did maintenance on an old pickup after chores. In the afternoon, the doldrums hit, and I couldn’t find the energy to extract that leaking heater core. I needed a little fun, and this old plow provided a pick-me-up. By the time I quit on Christmas night, I had the Jewel dismantled, sanded, and mostly primed. I had a few more days in the shop at New Years. By the time I went back to work in January, the plow was mostly assembled, and the wood beam was carved and fitted. The next weekend involved forging a missing brace, and sanding and varnishing the wooden pieces. The photos show the progress, and hopefully will provide assistance for anyone else restoring one of these.
One note: I took a lot of pictures while dismantling it, and used them more than I expected while re-assembling.
Fish Fin Road surface Art Concrete

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Road surface Gas
Wood Metalworking hand tool Metal Auto part Fashion accessory
Wheel Kitchen utensil Cuisine Automotive tire Dish
Snow Wheel Wood Natural material Sky

Wheel Wheelbarrow Wood Vehicle Garden tool

Wood Grass Tints and shades Automotive wheel system Landscape

Wood Grass Tints and shades Garden tool Landscape

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. There are definitely more steel beam plows than wood beam. This one is an unusual combination with the wood beam and the steel pull bar.

I don't have any plans for it, just enjoyed putting it together. One day I may hook it up and plow my garden.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts