Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, new members came to the church. Very nice and friendly guy, and sweet adorable wife and kids. One of the deacons noticed that this $100 bill was being added to the collection plate since they arrived, but never thought much of it, and quite frankly, the church needs the money!! Well, over the last 3 Sundays, we've been collecting money for a new roof, and low and behold, we get a check from this family for the entire $25000 it will cost. This was on the 19th. treasurer takes the check to the bank on the 20th, and it is a good check, and the funds are in the account to cover it, but here's the kicker: After talking with the teller at the bank, and other sources, she learned that the man comes about his money is a somewhat less than ethical fashion, and that's all we know. No one will say where the money comes from, or anything, and we are somewhat reluctant to cash this check. So here we are, with funds to fix our roof, but we question where the money comes from, so we are at a loss as what to do. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
The first mistake that was made was by the bank teller. My daughter works at a financial institution, and the teller should have never divulged any info other than the check was good. Maybe the donor's contribution is questionable in the teller's mind only because of how the money is earned, but the teller has no right to make judgement if the money is legally gained. Such actions by a teller can put the bank at risk. All humans have flaws, and hopefully folks go to church for guidance and forgiveness. As long as the donor is doing nothing illegal, I see no problem.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If the teller thought the money was gotten "illegally" he should report it to the authorities, anything else he should keep his mouth shut. The church should cash the check, and patch the roof. If the money was unethically obtained, maybe the donor was trying to repent. The teller should learn to keep his opinions to him/herself. :roll:

·
Registered
483 Posts
JUDGE NOT THAT YE MAY BE JUDGED AND FOUND LACKING. Cash the check and put the new roof on and give thanks to the good lord he steered the doner to you instead of a place that doesn't judge people on how they earn a living.

:D Al

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
First thing that needs to be done is the teller reported to the bank president.. he or she was way out of line with that remark. next cash that check fix that roof and thank that guy . sometimes when God is talking to us we have our ears or nose we should say in someone else business. God is testing your church and you better hope it gets an A+

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me, personally, I have no say so in it, although I know a couple of the deacons have spoken with me and several others about it! I do not think the teller was trying to stir the pot, but you all are right, it was none of her business, but knowing some of the people in my church, they will frown on it, and him, if we take this money. I kinda agree with you who say take the money, because the Lord does sometimes work in mysterious ways!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
That bank teller should be out of a job I am afraid, I cant think the law differs too much on this here or in the US, I used to work in a bank and NO WAY do you discuss or divulge anything regarding customers, I would change banks.... Like Betty and some others has said the Lord moves in mysterious ways, hope you get your roof fixed...

G

·
0 Posts
Second post.

I don't think the finger should be pointed at the bank teller. When I give to a church that is between me and God. NOT the treasurer and the bank teller. NOT the deacons and the treasurer. Those that have spoke to anyone about the money should not be entitled to keep the position they hold. They have broken trust. God is the one who will judge the man if his ways of earning money is wrong. That money should have been listed on the deposit slip with all the rest and deposited. NOT DISCUSSED WITH ANYONE.
Imagine if you inherited a large sum of money and gave to the church. Then you hear "rumors" of how you got the money. How would you feel???????????? This man seems to have been condemed and doesn't even know it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
petra79 said:
Second post.

I don't think the finger should be pointed at the bank teller. When I give to a church that is between me and God. NOT the treasurer and the bank teller. NOT the deacons and the treasurer. Those that have spoke to anyone about the money should not be entitled to keep the position they hold. They have broken trust. God is the one who will judge the man if his ways of earning money is wrong. That money should have been listed on the deposit slip with all the rest and deposited. NOT DISCUSSED WITH ANYONE.
Imagine if you inherited a large sum of money and gave to the church. Then you hear "rumors" of how you got the money. How would you feel???????????? This man seems to have been condemed and doesn't even know it.
I agree and if you have members in that church like that I don't want to be a member there.. They have set them selves up as God. That man needs to take his money and find a church where he would be welcome and get away from the toung waggers. it is not a church just has the name or you have a building you call a church.. If I step on toes I am sorry but I can't stand people who set them selves up as God and judge others ..

G

·
0 Posts
caseman said:
petra79 said:
Second post.

I agree and if you have members in that church like that I don't want to be a member there.. They have set them selves up as God. That man needs to take his money and find a church where he would be welcome and get away from the toung waggers. it is not a church just has the name or you have a building you call a church.. If I step on toes I am sorry but I can't stand people who set them selves up as God and judge others ..
John, the deacons have stepped out of line. Gossip. The problem is inside the church and that needs to be fixed before worrying about how someone else earns their money. We are to hold each other accountable for our actions. Granted the teller did wrong, but couldn't have if it was never brought to their attention???

·
Registered
658 Posts
If it was me I would take the money and fix up what you need.
One way to look at it is that you got the money to help people in need and they just need the helping hand :?:
They may be reaching out to the church for the answer :!:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Church situation

As many of us are of a few different flavors of "church"; Christ hung around with a bunch of not "HIGH-Society" and was crusified with thieves and robbers. The one He
said would be with Him in Paradice was a criminal.

Small group gossip can be very skewed by private jealocies!

Unless you have factual, verifiable informantion about the source of the funds, to me it is very "UNChristian" to judge the donor!

FIX THE ROOF!

That donor could have spent those same dollars in a lot of less worthy places without any "GOSSIP!" about the source of the revenue!

Is it any more unethical than many of the secret sneaky taxes that we all pay every day!

I used to work for a state governement and they would certainly not quibble about a scource of alumni funds as long as they got ther MONEY!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why not just contact the person who wrote the check, thank them for their generosity and small talk about their family and work. Where do they live? Up to this point it is only hearsay from a bank teller who had no business discussing anyone's finances. I think most of the people on this forum can smell a snake a mile away. You'll can usually see through people who are unethical. If they are expecting "favors" due to the donation, return the check. Otherwise, cash it.

Go to the source.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me update everyone on this. I personally spoke with him last night. I grew tired of the accusations, and wanted to know for sure. While he wouldnt tell me where, or how he made his money, he did tell me that he had been in jail for 8 years, and had got out 2 years ago. He was understanding everyones concerns, but assured me the check was legal, funds were there to cover it, and he wanted the church to have it, and the thing that struck me the most, forgave the ones who thought bad of him.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
John M said:
Let me update everyone on this. I personally spoke with him last night. I grew tired of the accusations, and wanted to know for sure. While he wouldnt tell me where, or how he made his money, he did tell me that he had been in jail for 8 years, and had got out 2 years ago. He was understanding everyones concerns, but assured me the check was legal, funds were there to cover it, and he wanted the church to have it, and the thing that struck me the most, forgave the ones who thought bad of him.
Thanks John you did what any honest person wanting to do right would have done. I give you a pat on the back and yes people can change and he has showed his change by forgiveing the 1 who spoke out aqaist him. His true colors will show down the road.. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts