Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've toyed around with making cutting instruments out of things like a RR spike.. etc.

have seen some make a knife from a file.. etc.

was thinking about using a circ saw blade for a knife or hand hatchet or skinning tool.. etc.

hows the metal ? work ok for that?

G

·
I've got a huge knife I made out of a power hack saw blade used for cutting steel up to 12" sq. Ground a blade on the back edge, left the teeth for cutting tree branch's and used brake lining to make a handle. If you swing nice n hard at a 2" branch, you can cut right through it.

G

·
You should be fine using a saw blade. Tool steel is real hard so its a lil tougher to grind but very doable. If I remember next time I change out my saw blade for cutting hyd. hoses I'll send ya one. Already has an edge.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I subscribe to a mag called "backwoodsman" which had an article on making a knife from a saw blade, it's kind of a back to the land/woods type pub.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I've made knives using a junk 2 man cross cut saw blade. Don't remember how many I made, kept one for myself and sold the rest. Could have sold more if I would have had the material for more.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I'll post some pics of a few of the butcher knives my dad made over the years out of cross cut saw blades. It'll be a topic of Homemade Butcher Knives in the Need To Tell You All forum referencing the start of it here in Tractor Talk.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I made a skinning knife out of a commercial power hacksaw blade. Shaped it, sharpened it and added a handle. Used it for years and the last I saw my friend still occasionally uses it. Not much to look at compared to a pro made knife but it worked well and held an excellent edge.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
missouri massey man said:
I'll post some pics of a few of the butcher knives my dad made over the years out of cross cut saw blades. It'll be a topic of Homemade Butcher Knives in the Need To Tell You All forum referencing the start of it here in Tractor Talk.
Wendell, do you remember how your Dad cut the cross cut blade into workable pieces? Local repair guy had a shear that he used

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
4imnotright said:
missouri massey man said:
Wendell, do you remember how your Dad cut the cross cut blade into workable pieces? Local repair guy had a shear that he used
Yes I do remember it quite well, but you're going to have to buy the book to see how.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding, no book. But to keep from repeating you can skip over to the Need to Tell You All....(there's even pictures too).

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
One of the things he did was to take worn disc's and cut them into pie shaped pieces to make homemade garden hoes. Weld a short piece of pipe to the tip of the pie in the size you wished for the hoe handle to be. Usually a 1" nipple would do. Then using a draw knife, he'd shape a handle out of 2x2 sawmill stock that we'd saw for that purpose anytime a straight grained oak, ash or hickory log would be on the head blocks.

Varying the size of the pie piece netted different size hoes, smaller ones so the kids wouldn't get too worn out with the adult tools. He sometimes used small buggy seat springs to make small narrow hoes in the same fashion.

Chevrolet coil springs would be welded to a worn disc with an old planter or implement seat welded to the other end for a stool.

The 2x2's or 3x3's were also drawn down with a draw knife to make wheel barrow handles, post hole digger handles and other hand tool handles like claw hammers, hatchets, axes, splitting mauls you name it, he make it. Of course they weren't pristine like a factory handle, but they'd be straight grained with no knots. Soaking with oil and hung by a nail driven into the end so they wouldn't curve over time leaning against the wall.

Of course, my Dad came up in a time of blacksmiths, hobo's and freed slaves working on the farm. He worked right alongside the blacksmith making wagon parts, wooden wheel parts...felloes, spokes and hubs.... all by hand.

It was a different time, a hundred years ago for sure. Nothing was thrown away.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Wendall, your Dad sounds like an amazing man and would have been an honor and privaledge to have know!!!!There are so few that have or had this type of imagination and skills. Certainly helps to explain where you got some of yours from!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i bet a disc or shovel would make some decenty hard blade!

I have used a leaf spring from an old truck to make a replica roman short sword. looked neat with a leather wrapped hand area.

G

·
petra79 said:
You should be fine using a saw blade. Tool steel is real hard so its a lil tougher to grind but very doable. If I remember next time I change out my saw blade for cutting hyd. hoses I'll send ya one. Already has an edge.
Came into work today for inventory and the store guy just put a new blade on. I'll send ya the old one first chance I get. Hope its something you can use.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dang!

no rush to send.. just save it for me we usually send each other stuff throughout the year.

:)

G

·
soundguy said:
This blade might be a lil different than you've seen before but I think it'll work good for some of your thoughts. It's actually has a scalloped edge. These blades are around $300 new.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
our local napa has a hose cutter.. I'v seen their machine thru a doorway, and I think I know what you are talking about.

nead deals... wow.. what a price tag.

reminds me of diamond tipped concrete and asphalt blades cor concrete saws... very spenddy..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts