Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently came into possession of a Cockshutt 1655 diesel tractor in very good condition. I’m more of an operator than a mechanic, thiugh I do have basic skills. Was wanting to change out all the fluids. Anyone have a recommendation on hydraulic fluid and engine oil? Tractor is 50 years old and fluids and oils have changed a lot in that time. Looking for what works best. Owners manual calls for oliver specific hydraulic fluid and for engine oil simply says 30. Are new oils better, or synthetics?

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
I strongly suggest you get an owner's manual. If it is in good shape that is incentive enough to do the things that will keep it that way. I suggest 15w-40 conventional oil in it. Tbat is far better than anything available when the tractor was made. If the Oliver hydraulic oil is compatible to what is commonly known as universal tractor fluid it should be ok. The manual should tell.you what to use. Oliverguy on this site would know.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I would stay with conventional oil. Rotella 15W40, Universal Hydraulic Oil and Type A transmission oil (if it has the 3 speed). I agree an Owners manual is a must!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would stay with conventional oil. Rotella 15W40, Universal Hydraulic Oil and Type A transmission oil (if it has the 3 speed). I agree an Owners manual is a must!
Recently came into possession of a Cockshutt 1655 diesel tractor in very good condition. I’m more of an operator than a mechanic, thiugh I do have basic skills. Was wanting to change out all the fluids. Anyone have a recommendation on hydraulic fluid and engine oil? Tractor is 50 years old and fluids and oils have changed a lot in that time. Looking for what works best. Owners manual calls for oliver specific hydraulic fluid and for engine oil simply says 30. Are new oils better, or synthetics?
Thanks for the response. I purchased an owners manual online before I picked it up. 15W40 was where I was leaning. Same as my truck. For hydraulic fluid, the manual says “special hydraulic oil must be used in the hydraulic system to ensure proper power steering unit operation. Can only be purchased at your dealer under the following numbers 30-3023982(1gal) or 30-30239990 (5 gal)”. Wasn’t sure about this since I have no way to cross ref the specifications.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. I purchased an owners manual online before I picked it up. 15W40 was where I was leaning. Same as my truck. For hydraulic fluid, the manual says “special hydraulic oil must be used in the hydraulic system to ensure proper power steering unit operation. Can only be purchased at your dealer under the following numbers 30-3023982(1gal) or 30-30239990 (5 gal)”. Wasn’t sure about this since I have no way to cross ref the specifications.
It does have the 3 speed trans and calls for type A fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts