Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this video link over on the Cockshutt part of the forum but I think it may not get seen by as many over there as might be interested in seeing this ancient IH hammer mill coming back to life. It had it's first test putting grain through yesterday and I was pretty happy with the results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzzxmTclK8g

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bikerdave said:
Thanks for the video.
Forgive me for asking. Why is the right rear mounted backwards?
Well Dave, I guess if I had a dollar for every time I have been asked that question I could pay the repair shop to re-mount the tire the right way. :lol: Fact is that wheel came off a spare parts tractor years ago, the left side though. While these wheels are reversible it wouldn't work well for this situation as it would put a big off set on the right hand side if I turned the wheel around. So I just leave it as is and have no problems. In fact it might be an advantage when running the rear mount snowblower when the heaviest work is done in reverse. Heres the same tractor a few years ago before I put the red sheet metal on it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ancient hammer mill? That makes me feel old. I shovelled a few thousand bushels through be;t drive hammer mills - and they all leak dust. At first we used to grind into a wagon, but later I fixed up an old shed and we blew the feed directly into the shed. One side of the shed was built into the fence, so all we had to do was open the wide window and shovel the feed into the feeder.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dick said:
Ancient hammer mill? That makes me feel old. .
I don't actually know the age of this IH mill. The tractor is a 1953 model, same year as myself. The IH mill I think is quite a bit older as it has the really old IH logo on the pulley. I had a picture of it but can't find it now. I'm guessing from the 1940s at least. The much newer Case mill from the 1950s that I have fed for the past 40 years, and my Dad did the same from the early fifties, has literally worn out. I have rebuilt the fan housing numerous times when it wore through from the grain. The grain screen wore so thin that it was beginning to get fragile and easily bent so I started using the coarse straw screen for grain and it worked fine. Unfortunately the bearing has gone bad on the shaft and I can't get the drive pulley off without breaking it. So,, this IH mill came from a neighbour's junk yard and seems to be in better shape than the Case. It has the swinging hammers (like a combine straw chopper) and I turned them, greased the bearings and a little sheet metal replacement and it works great.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
rusty6 said:
I posted this video link over on the Cockshutt part of the forum but I think it may not get seen by as many over there as might be interested in seeing this ancient IH hammer mill coming back to life. It had it's first test putting grain through yesterday and I was pretty happy with the results.
16 look here 54 on cockshutt board more vistors look at tractor pages than any other boards

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
caseman said:
rusty6 said:
16 look here 54 on cockshutt board more vistors look at tractor pages than any other boards
Thats true , there are more "lookers" over on the Cockshutt side but there are a lot more replies on this side. And it is the replies and ensuing discussions that make it more interesting I think . Even the backwards tire questions. :lol:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bikerdave said:
Sorry I asked. Not really, you don't ask you don't know.
Hey Dave, don't be sorry. Asking questions and discussing our machinery is what keeps the forum alive. I welcome any questions or comments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts