Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another one of those purchases that is a crying shame. $35.00 at auction. The canvas is shot on it but I have newer ones to fit it.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
A great buy for you. Congrats. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
How wide is it? Probably a bit narrow by today's standards. I have an 8 acre field used by a neighbor. It is a postage stamp size field by today's standards, He sold the hay as a standing crop to a cow mill (dairy farm?) nearby who cut it in 25 minutes with a self propelled, zero turn, swather of about 24 feet. A gatherer was then used to gather 2 swaths into one from both sides resulting in a windrow with 96 feet of hay. It was then chopped, blown into a semi alongside and hauled off to the cows who probably polished off the entire field for breakfast. Such is "farming" today. What used to be farms are now fields or subdivisions. Vern

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sure looks like a full brother to the CO-OP swather I used to run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Co-op sold a lot of Cokshutt equipment over the years. Most of it was repainted and labeled as Co-op.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Those were popular in our area (ND); they were reliable machines that did the job. The main frame was a large tube across the top back of the platform. One day I walked by my uncle's swather and heard a screeching sound - a weasel had gotten into the pipe; he would turn around inside the pipe and run from one end to the other, but he wouldn't leave while I was there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol: :lol: :lol: Have seen little creatures in equipment quite often but never a weasel.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That looks like the Cockshutt number 2 swather. I still have my uncle's old number 2 swather, running when parked. :) Its been parked probably 30 years but they were a pretty popular swather in these parts. 12 foot cut I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts