Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a niece who's husband is a chef at the Epcot center and Disney has shut down for atleast 2 weeks and this is a busy time for them

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
We have been shown large crowds at Costco stores on the local news. We haven't been in a grocery store since last weekend and will deal with the situation tomorrow I guess.

·
Registered
320 Posts
For the last week, people have been hoarding. first it was hoarding toilet paper and hand sanitizer, then the last couple days, its been hoarding bread, milk, and groceries in general. A reporter asked the president today, what he could do about getting an adequate supply of wipes and hand sanitizers back on the shelves, and he told her that suppliers were working to get it replenished as fast as they could. Where the real problem lies is the hoarders. If people would only buy what they actually need, instead of buying 30 times what they actually do need, there would not be a shortage of these things to start with. The sad thing is when this is done and over with, a big percentage of these hoarders will be trying to return this stuff they so greedily bought such an excess of, to the stores, to try to get their money back. What they dont realize, is that it hurts a lot of older people, and folks on fixed incomes, that cant afford to hoard, and deprives them of their day to day needs.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
I know many folks' situations are different. So far this has reminded me a lot of how people react when a severe winter storm or hurricane is predicted for us when they know they may be out of power.and not able to get to stores for a few days. Stress on folks will increase as time passes until the virus begins to wane. If a lot of test results immediately show a large number of positive results, within the next week or so, that will be the toughest time. Another wave of panic will follow. Yesterday at the local gun shop it was easy to see that people were anxious about this. The owner's daughter had gone to their ammo supplier and waited for two hours to pick up what little she could get. Their supplier is sold out.

A similar event as this could have happened about 10 years ago when the H1N1 flu appeared. My mom was in a nursing home, and we were advised not to visit. Suggestions of precautions for the general public to take were made by health sources. There were no mass cancellations or closings. There was no real national effort to fight the disease until the nationwide death toll reached 1000 people. Which is the right solution? As handled then or now? That will be determined.

Living in a more urbanized area, in times like this i'd prefer to be in a more rural area. People here are gonna become more restless and easier to be riled. The more that folks understand that they must accept and bear a new way of life for a few weeks will be all the medicine that they will need.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
It has just reached our shores. We have had 6 cases reported, hopefully with being so far from Europe, it will not have the same impact. As a precaution all events,meetings etc
have been cancelled. Air NZ has cancelled many flights to Europe and the USA, & Britain, Italy, etc.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They anounced 2 confirmed cases in St. Clair Co. Il. Thats the neighboring county. So It's here:hide:

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
At the local Aldi and Wal-Mart yesterday during our weekly visit, we found most of what we had on our list. Fresh produce, bread, paper products, canned goods, and over the counter drug items seemed to be the most empty areas in the stores. What will be interesting to see is if the most sought after items will be more plentiful after this initial rush to stock up. If this pattern of buying extends for 2 weeks some folks will become panicked. Harris Teeter, one of the larger grocery chains here, is shortening its hours open for business to clean and restock stores.

I went in one smaller neighborhood store and got a loaf of bread. There was bottled water there, several types of bread, sugar , some paper products, flour, and other basic things that could well serve a cooking family.

On Saturday the NC governor mandated the closing of all schools. With Miss Joanne being a retired high school teacher, we are closer to how the school system will deal with this. Our local superintendent is on tv now as I type this. She and the system seem more concerned with how those who are very dependent upon the non-educational services provided by schools rather than its function of education. She said there is no way they can change their schedule and make up 2 weeks or 10 days. The schools will be closed a week for Easter soon. There is 5 days! How many of us made up days on Saturdays? There is much more , but I better stop here.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
All events, shows etc have been cancelled. The cases are now mounting up now that people are returning from overseas. Might be an idea to close the boarders.

·
Administrator
4,000 Posts
In Ky schools have been closed since late last week along with bars and taverns. Restaurants that don't have a drive-thru were closed Monday and dentist visits for non emergencies are told to cancel. Today gyms, spas, and hair salons are ordered to close. 24 hour stores are closing using the overnight to restock and clean. One thing that puzzles me is why people are hording toilet paper and bottled water. I can understand cleaning and sanitizing supplies. This morning they are talking about closing manufacturing plants.
The web site for the unemployment service crashed yesterday from so many who's been affected trying to sign up for benefits.
One fella who tested positive and refused to voluntarily quarantine himself, found it was not a request.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They added church services to the list of suspensions. Tried to buy bananas at the bigger stores and found none. Went to a little Mom

& Pop store and found all I wanted. Don't expect that to last long when the word grts out

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
I'm relieved that our PM saw fit to close the borders. The panic buying going on is incredible, especially toilet paper. !!??

·
Administrator
4,000 Posts
Now that all the auto manufacturing plants in KY have shut down the ripple effect will follow.
Unemployment has jumped from under 5% to over 20% in a matter of a week.
My bride is home today, and she works alone in her office, but has no work. The owner has offered voluntary lay-offs or shortened work weeks.
The government's plan won't stop the virus as they hope, but it's sure gonna put a stop to the lucrative economy we've been enjoying the past few years.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, I usually work on Saturdays, and business has been close to dead for a week, so we are kicking around the idea today of everyone taking tomorrow off. We are Hoping this thing blows over quickly and we get back to business as usual, but without customers, we are dead in the water till further notice. Just finishing up what work we have until this starts going in the other direction.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Someone sent me this little graph today, that might put things into perspective
on this thing. As long as folks use a little common sense, like they do with a flu
or anything else, I think most folks will be okay.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
  • In NC the governor has closed public schools until May 15. Hair and nail salons, gyms, barbershops, spas, or any place where there is direct contact between folks closes today. So the unkept and overweight look may become the normal here for a short time. My stains and dirtiness from farming chores will make me fit right in. No humor is intended here although it would be easy. One never knows who may have interacted with someone in any location immediately before you or a loved one entered. We don't need to live in fear, just be careful.
Also a couple of days ago on the local news a report again mentioned the importance of handwashing. A bottle of hand sanitizer was shown with an enhanced label saying it killed 99.9% of bacteria. I am slow but a light went off somewhere inside me. The critter attacking us is a virus. Miss Joanne, a retired biology, anatomy and physiology teacher, and my best resource on such matters, discussed with me how effective a sanitizer could be. I also conferred with our great friend who manages our primary care doctor's office. The conclusion is that hand sanitizer is better than nothing and to use untll one can use soap and water for about 30 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
The quote was interesting to read, however in quite a few cases there is a vaccine and/or medicines etc that the diseases can be treated with, many of those cases have probably not been vaccinated or the right treatment is not available.
With Corono virus no vaccine is available and the 'right' treatment is yet to be discovered.

·
Administrator
4,000 Posts
The local newspaper did an article about the first person to succumb to the disease at Hardin County's hospital.
It happened to be a 75 year old lady who I knew in my youth and was the aunt of a friend from high school.
This is what makes it really hit home. Not just a bunch of numbers and charts.
Ky is not fairing well among those who have been infected.
Of the 770 cases that have been resolved, as of 5:00 p.m. yesterday, 653 have recovered and 117 have passed away.
If I learned to calculate properly, that's a 15.19% mortality rate. Not good.

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
The local newspaper did an article about the first person to succumb to the disease at Hardin County's hospital.
It happened to be a 75 year old lady who I knew in my youth and was the aunt of a friend from high school.
This is what makes it really hit home. Not just a bunch of numbers and charts.
Ky is not fairing well among those who have been infected.
Of the 770 cases that have been resolved, as of 5:00 p.m. yesterday, 653 have recovered and 117 have passed away.
If I learned to calculate properly, that's a 15.19% mortality rate. Not good.
That is a high mortality rate when you use those numbers. What you have take into account is the people that have it but their number is not recorded. An example, a niece of mine has it pretty bad as does her immediate family of four yet she was the only one in that family that was tested. Even though four people had it only one is accounted for the tally of cases. That type of situation has a huge effect on percentages.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Dave is the 770 number the number of folks that have been hospitalized? At this posting NC has had 5380 cases and 134 deaths. I am looking for the number of folks that have been hospitalized. I will add it here if I find it.

·
Administrator
4,000 Posts
Jim, as of last night 2291 are the number of confirmed positive cases.
770 is the number or resolved cases where the people have either recovered or died.
That leaves 1512 cases (and growing) yet to be resolved. 325 folks in the hospital with 132 of them in the I.C.U.
Wayne, if those others sought medical attention from the same family doctor they may or may not be on the confirmed list.
Since one house member tested positive and the others came along with the same symptoms.
Along the same premise, there are those who have contracted the virus, and recovered who were never tested because they didn't show all or any symptoms.
Like our senator who chose to be tested because of his association with people and tested positive. He never got sick though he was infected, and has recovered.
All one can go by is the numbers that are made available. I think my numbers are more accurate than the governments who compare the number of deaths against ALL confirmed cases from day one, active and resolved. Doing that the death rate falls to around 5%. In my mind that is a false statistic because no one knows how the active cases will resolve.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts