Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all i was pulling the engine out of my massey harris 81. guess what the engine is cracked . i never seen a wet spot. the engine seems to run good. has anyone fixed a cracked block. beings how its not leaking should i leave it alone. its not going to plow field. just a hobbie tractor. thanks willie

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i have a ford 951 with a crack that runs between freeze plugs. has new plugs now and has never leaked. if it started to leakl i'd braze it or silver solder it.

G

·
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Dads old IH truck had a crack from one end of the block to the other and it was pushed out the thickness of a dime. Never leaked a drop. Ran it like that until it was so worn out it just quit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI thats what i was thinking. some where down the line this tractor was painted orange. yuk .i would like to give her a red paint job. and put it in the front yard for all the john deer people to see. didnt anyone use anti freeze back then.

·
Registered
316 Posts
During WWII, When dad couldn't get alcohol, he used coal oil in tractor & car radiators as both had bad leaks & weren't used/driven (no thermostats either) very much in winter months. Permanent antifreeze was a big cost item then.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had a cracked block on my '49 VAC, it was slowly leaking coolant. I cleaned it up and put PC-7 (JB Weld?) on it. That was over 20 years ago.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If it's not leaking then it probably only needs paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts