Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure glad ATF is back! Missed it! With that said, for those of you who have kept up i am getting into reassembly of the cub.
Just refresh everyone's memory i had found a major crack in one of the final drives! You can see how long it was from the grind i had to do!

Got that fixed over the weekend, i discovered it to be a stress crack!

Its gettin there!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't doubt that would cause a crack, but this one was tight before i removed it. What i discovered is the top 2 bolts are binding the housing at this location! Loosening only the back top bolt a 12 thousands gap appeared. This tells me one or the other mating surface is not totally flat. My remedy for this was to loosen the front top bolt and check the gap at each bolt location. I ended up using a 12 thousands shim at the front bolt, and a 14 thousands shim at the back, this should take up the low spot and relieve the stress at that point!

·
Super Moderator
1,548 Posts
It certainly was a major with all the grinding you had to do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a difference 2 days make!

It getting there!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking really good, you musta slept out there for those two days!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slept!!!!!!!!!!!!!Almost yes. Spend a couple late evenings.I'm sure glad to get some parts out of the floor. At least i have some places to step now!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That is great work :) keep the updates coming

·
Registered
530 Posts
Nice job! I would have probably just looked for a replacement. How did you get the crack in there in the first place. Was that little cub pullin the big sled????

Kirk

G

·
0 Posts
Gonna be one sweet looking tractor when you get it all back together. Nice Work Sir ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kirk-NJ said:
Nice job! I would have probably just looked for a replacement. How did you get the crack in there in the first place. Was that little cub pullin the big sled????

Kirk
I have no idea other than i'm guessing its just a stress crack! I am pretty sure the only thing this Cub has ever done is small garden work, based on who owned it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate everyone's comments, compliments, and input!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Leaving no bolt unturned, great job!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts