Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad bought a new 3000 and 5000 in 1974.I remember going with him to the local Ford dealer to buy them.I tried to get him to buy a 1000 also,but he wouldnt think of it.Both were diesels and well optioned.I remember the dealership putting them on the dyno,the mechanic asked dad how much HP he wanted them to make and he said "I want them to make exactly what the book says and not a bit more"
He no longer has either tractor.One of my biggest tractor mistakes was not buying the 5000 when he sold it.
Here are pics of them.
This is the new 5000 in spring 1974 I am discing with a # 37 IH disc at age 11.

This is the 3000 in 1982 right before dad sold it.

G

·
0 Posts
Those are both nice ford's. I would like to get a 5000, I just love how beefy they look.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Neat pictures, thanks for posting!

My Dad has a 4000 Diesel that he's overhauling and "fixin" up now, and just bought a 3000 gas. I love those style Fords. I can remember going with Poppy to the Ford dealer to get parts for his 640 and walking into the show room, staring at those new blue brutes, wishin' Poppy just go ahead and buy one.

He did buy two though. In boxes, with discs and silage wagons for my kid brother and I for Christmas...good times!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nick,
My Dad sold our 1950's Farmall Cub with all attachments available for it except for cultivators because he needed money. I miss that tractor to this day. Thanks for sharing pictures of yours.

Bob

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a 1965 5000 gas, it builds plenty of Horse power but can't turn the pump up like the diesel guys can.
Maybe I am missing some thing in my memory bank but I seem to remember the 8000 being the biggest ford tractor untill thay came out with the 9600. After that it was the TW seriers.

:D Al

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
yep, the 1000 was an odd one and came out like mid 73 or so.. was one of the jap compacts.. a small job.. similar in size to like a 1500.. etc..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Nick,
Nice shots of the 5000 and the 3000. My dad bought a 5000 in 73 or 74 and we rode it hard on the two farms about 5 miles apart It did the majority of the work and was a pleasure to work with. It had the ROPS bar and sun shade option which was really nice on those hot summer days. Pulled four bottom mounted plows with the left front tire off the ground most of the time. Dad put rice and cane tires on it to keep it moving in the wet clay soil we had. Very little maintenance on this tractor, but it was pretty used up when he passed. Not sure its still around? My sister got it, and it was setting outside in rough shape.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
very capable tractors. i pull a 10' mower with my 5000 I predict it will need a clutch in a year or so. I managed to find a rops for it with sunshade at auction a while back.. made me happy as a clam!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts