Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have experience growing dahlia's wife ordered a few hundred tublers I have been reading about dahlias culture and as no herbices are available for weed control was wondering of what method is best I have been thinking of laying plastic mulch on raised bed with drip lines in bottom cutting hole in and plastic open putting tubular down in driving stake to tie to then blowing straw mulch over opening to shade weed growth I understand they are heavy feeders will drop fertilizer n bed as im raising it

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
I've found them very easy to grow over the years. Here's a bit of info .
Dahlias will grow in almost any location and in almost any soil.
However, to have outstanding plants and flowers, you must be selective of the planting placement.
Dahlia roots need a sunny location in order to thrive. They should receive at least a half-day of sun and even more is preferable.
Select a site for your dahlia garden that is away from trees, sunny, and yet sheltered from direct wind.
Dahlia tubers are surface feeders.
Since they don’t send down a tap root or long feeder roots the plants will easily be blown over by the wind.
Staking the plants is essential and will be covered later with planting instructions.
A further important consideration is the condition of the soil.
In most cases, a good everyday garden soil is adequate.
But good soil drainage is vital for dahlia plants.
If the soil holds surface water for more than several hours after a rain, the likelihood is that it should be augmented with organic matter.
Humus, peat moss, sand, or well-rotted manure will work well. A mixture of equal parts of all of the above makes an excellent addition to heavy soil.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Agree with kiwi except I just let mine grow wild Never bothered with the stakes. They are really tough but when you take them up after the first frost they say to knock off the dirt but I never do I just put them in baskets and store in the root cellar,and forget them till spring,

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
they certainly are easy to grow, with the strong winds that we get here, we either have to plant them in a sheltered spot or stake them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red Kiwi said:
I've found them very easy to grow over the years. Here's a bit of info .
Dahlias will grow in almost any location and in almost any soil.
However, to have outstanding plants and flowers, you must be selective of the planting placement.
Dahlia roots need a sunny location in order to thrive. They should receive at least a half-day of sun and even more is preferable.
Select a site for your dahlia garden that is away from trees, sunny, and yet sheltered from direct wind.
Dahlia tubers are surface feeders.
Since they don’t send down a tap root or long feeder roots the plants will easily be blown over by the wind.
Staking the plants is essential and will be covered later with planting instructions.
A further important consideration is the condition of the soil.
In most cases, a good everyday garden soil is adequate.
But good soil drainage is vital for dahlia plants.
If the soil holds surface water for more than several hours after a rain, the likelihood is that it should be augmented with organic matter.
Humus, peat moss, sand, or well-rotted manure will work well. A mixture of equal parts of all of the above makes an excellent addition to heavy soil.
Stephenscity said:
Agree with kiwi except I just let mine grow wild Never bothered with the stakes. They are really tough but when you take them up after the first frost they say to knock off the dirt but I never do I just put them in baskets and store in the root cellar,and forget them till spring,
thanks guys I planted in plastic with drip lines and drove 5 ft steel fence stakes at each hole 250 of them so I can tie as they grow they are in well drained sandy loom full sun all day but wind could be a issue so I think I will run a snow fence in front of them we want to sell for cut flowers this is a addition to our products as we have done glads sunflowers assorted bouquets for a number of years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts