Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
db990/A 1971 Selectamatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Can the filter in the power steering reservoir be cleaned (with what) or does it have to be replaced
Help will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
If it has a metallic filtering material I would soak and brush it in gasoline, let it drip dry, then hit it with compressed air. My grandpas' did it that way. May have to do it more than once. My Long tractors have a metallic power steering filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it's solid black inside and it doesn't seem like the top or bottom wants to separate from the center and since I haven't been able to source a replacement without astronomical shipping costs to Canada I've been reluctant to force it open.
I guess I'll give it a go and hope it's metal.
I've read that a lot of the parts from the 1200 series db's are compatible, I wonder if that applies to this filter because I can get that one for a reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
Don't force it open . Put it in a container, cover with solvent, I'd use gas, and let it soak. May take more than one try to clean it, and you should be able to tell if the inside is metal.

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
Don't force it open . Put it in a container, cover with solvent, I'd use gas, and let it soak. May take more than one try to clean it, and you should be able to tell if the inside has a metal filtering agent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't force it open . Put it in a container, cover with solvent, I'd use gas, and let it soak. May take more than one try to clean it, and you should be able to tell if the inside is metal.
That's a great suggestion, that's what I'm going to do.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts