Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a David Brown 990 to farm 10-15 acres in industrial hemp. It replaces a 1953 Ford Jubilee. I believe it to be a very sound machine and capable of doing the job, but I am not sure exactly what model it is or if it has been altered. The tractor serial number is H990 UA 471597 and the engine serial number is AD4/47A 52985. It looks to be a late 1964 or early 1965 David Brown Implematic, with a 6 speed Hi-Lo transmission, however the hood and paint colors look like the David brown Selectamatic made in 1965. Did David brown use an updated hood and paint scheme on later Implematics or has someone replaced the hood and repainted?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
According to your picture of the tractor serial number, it's a 1964 Implematic. However, as you point out, the brown/white color and the sheet metal are saying the later Selectamatic. Interesting mystery. Congrats on buying a DB. One of my top 3 favorite tractor brands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to your picture of the tractor serial number, it's a 1964 Implematic. However, as you point out, the brown/white color and the sheet metal are saying the later Selectamatic. Interesting mystery. Congrats on buying a DB. One of my top 3 favorite tractor brands.
Thank you, I asked that same question on another forum and I got a reply that just the grill was wrong. I think the grill is right for a Selectamatic, but not an Implematic. Thank you for pointing out the tractor was probably a late 1964 David Brown 990 Implematic. The bits of red/orange paint peeking through in places probably bolster that premise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very Interesting development in this tractor. As we know it is a 1964 David Brown 990 Implematic. The Model number is H990/UA, s/n 471597 (December 1964). "The "U" the model number means it was special for the American market, and why it has 990 Selectamatic tin on a 990 Implematic tractor. There was an import deal with Bolens to the American market. The reason for the color change was to make them look like Bolens tractors. The "A" meant it is an agricultural variant." (RG Martin, Tractor Expert Yesterday's Tractors). The Implematic had the 6 speed Hi-Lo with 2 more speeds in reverse and the Selectamatic was a 12 speed 4 range (low slow, low, high slow, high), with the ability to up shift from 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2nd to 3rd and to downshift from 3rd to 2nd in any of the ranges without stopping. The David Brown 990 Implematics made for the European market were red with a rounded front hood. Still the engine and drive train are extremely proficient for agricultural work. And on the collector side a very unusual tractor here in America as CASE was selling a comparable tractor at their stores and had the benefit of a huge name recognition here compared to David Brown.

In another interesting piece of trivia the management of David Brown saw a classified advertisement in The Times in 1947 offering for sale a High Class Motor Business, which turned out to be the sale of Aston Martin. David Brown acquired Aston Martin for £20,500 and, in the following year, Lagonda for £52,500, followed by the coach-builder Tickford in 1955.

David Brown subsequently concentrated all the Aston Martin manufacturing at the Tickford premises in Newport Pagnell.

The David Brown years saw production of the legendary DB series of Aston Martins, which were featured in some James Bond films. David Brown also had connections with Vosper shipbuilding, and Delapina and Radyne machinery.

Both car companies were sold in 1972 to Company Developments Limited, when Aston Martin was in financial trouble, for a nominal £100

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you look at my Avatar, you will see a photo of a small dozer - this is a David Brown 50TD that I have restored. David Brown built a small numbrt of 30hp & 50hp crawlers over a long period up until the mid '60s. More photos & details of mine can be found in my earlier posts in this section.

Reactions: oologahan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Oologahan,
Thank you for sharing such an interesting & rare chain of events in the colorful history of David Brown, especially how David Brown acquired Aston Martin and even produced the legendary DB series!

Hey if ever your David Brown 990 tractor's starter motor fails, I can personally arrange you a replacement starter at the best price you can ever find.

Mail me at [email protected] for further discount.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a David Brown 990 to farm 10-15 acres in industrial hemp. It replaces a 1953 Ford Jubilee. I believe it to be a very sound machine and capable of doing the job, but I am not sure exactly what model it is or if it has been altered. The tractor serial number is H990 UA 471597 and the engine serial number is AD4/47A 52985. It looks to be a late 1964 or early 1965 David Brown Implematic, with a 6 speed Hi-Lo transmission, however the hood and paint colors look like the David brown Selectamatic made in 1965. Did David brown use an updated hood and paint scheme on later Implematics or has someone replaced the hood and repainted?
Thanks for posting and I am aware this is several years later. I had someone give me the same tractor an 990UA/ 480484. Runs great just having 3 point lift issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts