Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mounting a bush hog on my old Ford 400 and when I went to restart my tractor was complete dead. After a lot of analysis and going and not so good advice I have discovered the following. When the ignition switch is off I have 12 volts to the solenoid and the hot side of the ignition switch. When I turn on the switch, all power is gone. In tracing the wiring I have found that the solenoid and switch remain powered if I disconnect the small wires on the coil and/or the distributor. What’s my next step. I’m a rank amateur and haven’t been able to find a professional willing to work on the old girl. Thanks for your help. Herman.

·
Super Moderator
1,531 Posts
There is obviously a malfunction somewhere, but just where.? Be very careful of what you do ,it can cause an electrical fire or big expense., these old tractors can go up in flames in an instant. I have been caught before with an International,

·
Super Moderator
7,970 Posts
My best advice is to use a test light or ohm meter and start checking the circuits. Start at the battery and test across all switches and electrical parts through to the starter and distributor. Sometimes overlooked is that the wire to the points through the distributor housing can be shorted to ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
do you mean Ford 400 or Ford 4000? I can't even find a picture of a Ford 400. If it is a 4000 there are wiring diagrams online. Did you fix the problem? If you have power to the ignition but no power to the starter, try jumping the selenoid switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you mean Ford 400 or Ford 4000? I can't even find a picture of a Ford 400. If it is a 4000 there are wiring diagrams online. Did you fix the problem? If you have power to the ignition but no power to the starter, try jumping the selenoid switch.
It’s a 400 produced in the mid 50s. Can’t get the solenoid you jump. Changed solenoid again today and nothing. Is there an easy way to check starter? Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts