Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
Here are some shots as I try to get these plows back into working order.
Set of 2 bottom 14 inch 10-156.

Here I took off the shin and have the old one laying on top of the new one from Agri- Suypply. It was well worn.

Same here with the shares ( we call them points) Lots of wear.

The plows with the parts removed.

That bad rear furrow wheel.

New shares and shins in place. And setting the Jubilee up, making adjustments.

Brought home a couple of these beams today and put this one to use.

Some notes on the set up measurements.

Front view of the Jubilee. Should be real close.

That wheel keeps popping up:)

Bracket for the furrow wheel disassembled and ready to go back on.

So here is the question. Does any one have pictures or dimensions of the land slides? I think these are worn like the rest and I might consider replacing them?? I think they should be 3/8 thick x 5 inches wide? these are about 4 inches wide. Could any one measured theirs please? I am not sure these land slides are still made for purchase?

Could I build a new furrow wheel? Well I might try whittling one out. I don't think it would much worse than the one I have:)

Also would like to find a set of joiners for the coulters. Not that I really need them:)

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
530 Posts
Plow looks good. I have a dearborn beater plow I use for rocky soil. Can't seem to break it. I can measure the landslide on it but judging from the rest of the plow these are probably worn too. I don't know if my good ferguson plow would have the same landslide part # but I can measure that also Both are 14's.
BTW since the front axle pivots just the rear wheel needs to be jacked up for plow setup.

Kirk

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kirk,
Thanks, if you get a chance to measure the width of the landslides. I'm betting mine are worn off a inch as least.
Still thinking on the rear of the tractor only being jacked up? Both front and rear wheels on the left side are up on the unplowed ground. I think If I let the front down it would throw the rear of the plows a little higher. Still thinking.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
530 Posts
Chris,
4 1/2" on the dearborn. But that plow has seen a lot of action so I would say they are worn too. Couldn't measure the ferguson because it's burried too deep in the barn to get to right now.

Kirk

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kirk,
Thanks for measuring the land slides! I am guessing that the Dearborn land slide when new is 5 inches wide. Since my plowing is done for the season, the plows have been greased and set aside. I still have the furrow guide wheel project resting on the bench with about six other projects.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
530 Posts
I measured my friend dearborn plow landslide and it was 4 5/8" so it could have be 5" to began with.
Plowed upstate Pa this weekend. field hadn't been plowed in 40/50 years. Now I know why, too many rocks. One of the rocks flipped up and broke the PS cylinder on the 4000. I guess something always going to break if you use your tractors and don't let them rust.

Kirk

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kirk,
Sorry your tractor was broken. Yikes that must be some rocky ground. Ok We live in upstate PA too. In fact we are in the chimney portion of the state another 15 miles and your in the lake:), how close are you to us? Zip 16401?
Thanks for the additional dimension on the land slide. I was wondering if these could be made new from mild steel? I have some 3/8 plat that could be used to make these.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got to see one of my great grandfathers fields freshly ploughed about 10 years ago. My father had recounted a story my grandfather had told about this field that a man could walk across the rocks from fence to fence without jumping. He didn't exaggerate at all. As a matter of fact I think you could do it without stretching. Hard on men, machines and crop.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! That is rocky ground! thanks for sharing. Amazing what farmers do to get crops in the ground!
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hey Chris,
I'm working on a 101 ford plow. I picked up new shares and didn't think the shins were too back but will probably need them too. Can you measure the bottom hole on your shin from the flat edge toward the front? Is it 1 3/4 or 2" to center of hole?
Photo of old share on top of new share.

Kirk

Attachments

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kirk,
I think it may plow a little better after replacing those points. I have never seen any worse than that! My goodness!
I will try to remember, if I don't jog me again.
Regards,
Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts