Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1957 Farmall 130 - electrical system converted to 12v but still has 6V Delco starter with the switch mounted on the side of the starter motor. A new one looks like this:

The problem is the switch works for a month or so then quits conducting, always at an inopportune time and place. I have replaced the switch with a new one, still have same problem. I can clean the contacts inside the switch with a small wire brush and it works again for 4 to 6 weeks then stops conducting when closed. It seems the arching when used to start the engine is damaging the contacts, burning off copper and leaving a black deposit. This is a PITA to have to service it so often.
Is this because it is designed for 6V but I am using a 12V battery? Is there something I can do to the switch to improve it's longevity?

RayJ

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
Check all electrical connections and battery cable ends. I recently had trouble with a cable end on my Farmall H. It took several attempts to finally get the problem resolved. I even thought the battery was dead, but a cable end was the ultimate problem. Make sure you check where the ground cable is connected to the tractor. Sometimes it helps to connect the ground to a point near where the starter is mounted on the tractor. On an offset tractor like your 130 I have seen ground cables connected to the instrument panel stand which also supports the steering wheel. That is not the best place as over time it wears and tends to loosen a bit where it is bolted to the castiing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check all electrical connections and battery cable ends. I recently had trouble with a cable end on my Farmall H. It took several attempts to finally get the problem resolved. I even thought the battery was dead, but a cable end was the ultimate problem. Make sure you check where the ground cable is connected to the tractor. Sometimes it helps to connect the ground to a point near where the starter is mounted on the tractor. On an offset tractor like your 130 I have seen ground cables connected to the instrument panel stand which also supports the steering wheel. That is not the best place as over time it wears and tends to loosen a bit where it is bolted to the castiing.
Hello Jim:

Similar: the first time this happened I too thought the battery was dead so I started looking for a trickle discharge path. I did not find one.
Battery: New
Cables: New
The catch may be the neg is in fact connected to an internal bolt on the instrument pedestal. Perhaps this is a point of high resistance (unnecessary voltage drop) that could lead to excessive arcing in the switch caused by excessive current. I will make this change and see what happens.

Thank you!!

RayJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts