Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many degrees do you think the crank can turn before the distributor drive gear begins moving the rotor is acceptable ?? Of course this is from a dead stop and rotating the crankshaft backwards to line up timing marks at TDC. Rotating the crank forward to TDC there is no hesitation in rotation because at that point backlash is out of the picture. I'm kinda thinking I got way too much wear between the cam gear and the distributor drive gear though. There's no way I'm going to be able to replace the camshaft drive, but I can replace the distributor drive gear, which is actually the oil pump drive gear. This is on an F 162 Continental. Suggestions anyone ??

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
if ya think ya got to much you probably do. drive gear would be a cheep part and even if ya didnt "need" it the peice of mind would be there if you replaced it. i have run them before with pretty thin teeth to getchya by. if the gear looks thin change it

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda what I was thinking. I guess I was looking for someone to convince me. I didn't order one with the rest of the parts as it didn't look that thin and now its all together with new jugs, valves, guides, rod and mains and back in the tractor. I didn't put in the distributor until after the hoist was off and that's when it came to be noticed. Fortunately, dropping the pan will give the needed access. Thanks for the input sir.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts