Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to the conclusion that I am done collecting antique tractors until I am retired. We as a family have one more prize to make our collection feel complete to us. I need a Case yes a J.I. Case :) I have proposed to my family that we get one on our own next year when the weather breaks, we will take a family road trip if we have too and make it an adventure. What do you tractor folks think of that? The reason this has come up is that we are out of room and money to really play....just about all our tractors need a little of this or that and I wouldnt be able to come up with the money to do it. We have been kinda cherry picking our area for all our tractors really and we feel the need to go outside that comfort zone to get one. When I retire I would like to make all the corrections on our current tractors in the years to come, of course we will enjoy them all until that time. I am taking opinions about what Case to look for using parts availablity, price, desirability, and ease of family use (the girls) :D

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
.....but you gotta ask yourself this question to see if you are truly done collecting. What if another little Massey 22 or 81 or Mustang or a John Deere LA or one of hundreds of others popped up for sale real cheap and right around the corner.....are you gonna pass it by ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You probably only THINK you are done collecting until you retire, Derick.

I seem to recall a recent post about how much room you still had in the barn. Hmmmmm....

As far as the Cases are concerned....I dunno :oops: :oops: :oops: I was of no help at all, was I. :? :?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
missouri massey man said:
Stephenscity said:
OK I'm starting a pool all those that think this can't last!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well Mike, you already have MY vote.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
WoW! ye of little faith....i am officially broke until money loosens up next spring....so unless theyre free were out of collecting :lol: Just ONE more and thats it and it will be a total family tractor hunt from start to finish

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
The Jury is out on whether you're done collecting of not. Remember selling one to buy another, or a flat out trade is still collecting. (Including implements) ;)
As far as a Case goes, to stick with the era of your collection, price, parts availability, girls driving (Without Hearing Protection !!! :evil: ), etc., I would suggest a late model (50's) VAC.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigDaveinKY said:
The Jury is out on whether you're done collecting of not. Remember selling one to buy another, or a flat out trade is still collecting. (Including implements) ;)
As far as a Case goes, to stick with the era of your collection, price, parts availability, girls driving (Without Hearing Protection !!! :evil: ), etc., I would suggest a late model (50's) VAC.
Thanks Dave! please dont be :evil: with us ;) :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Aw, you are just kidding yourself. You have a terminal case like most of us and you can't quit. You may run outta money, but you'll never quit.
Tis a sickness I tell ya! :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Derick, you are only finished collecting until the next one, it may be a Case, comes along that you want. No one here at ATF will be disappointed ifn you cannot meet your goal. After all, we are all probably guilty of doing the same thing several times in our lives :!: :lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Money- wise I know you have a lot tied up in "inventory" for sure. That John broke the "piggy bank" for now. If a "CASE" is in your future, let me know which model your girls would desire & I'll keep an eye out for that model. Or maybe you will be lucky & win one in a tractor raffle.

You are really just taking a "vacation" from collecting for the time being.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its kind of a weird perosnal thing for me folks....I mentally cant have a tractor in the shed that wont run or is in "project" condition....There fore I will never let them rest. Batteries, gas, and general maintenance is going to eat up ALOT of our cash flow for these things. Thats why I feel like I'm done except for a Case....I hope that I explained that well enough....I'm kinda of a complicated collector! :lol:

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
I can understand and appreciate that. A motor oil change for the full fleet would cost you a drum of oil. ;)

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
A SC would not be a bad choice.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oldman1151 said:
A SC would not be a bad choice.
I was thinking the same thing....I have a line on one that needs work and the seller is real relaxed about letting it go. I will approach him again in the fall and see if he's ready or not :)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Im done now!! Have all I want except for a couple my gramps had, and Im sure Ill never see those again. I have 2 batteries for 6 tractors, and other than gas and oil, and new battery when these go, that will be my only expense. My body just cant take doing the work anymore. I go to shows, when I can, but my showdays of exibiting are done, heck I just traded off my big trailer for a lighter one, and within a year or so, Ill have to trade off my big Chevy for probably a small pickup, or a car. Just cant climb up in the 2500 as good. (My youngest boy is wanting me to kep it in the barn so when he gets his licence he can drive it.......aint going to happen!)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John M said:
Im done now!! Have all I want except for a couple my gramps had, and Im sure Ill never see those again. I have 2 batteries for 6 tractors, and other than gas and oil, and new battery when these go, that will be my only expense. My body just cant take doing the work anymore. I go to shows, when I can, but my showdays of exibiting are done, heck I just traded off my big trailer for a lighter one, and within a year or so, Ill have to trade off my big Chevy for probably a small pickup, or a car. Just cant climb up in the 2500 as good. (My youngest boy is wanting me to kep it in the barn so when he gets his licence he can drive it.......aint going to happen!)
When we had 3-4 tractors we would drag them out and ride them everytime we were up, now we have to move several tractors to get to the one we may want to ride....its just less convient I guess. So money is a huge factor and ease of use for us...I would take them all if I could but I must be realistic. Harold had 92 at one time in his collection...he's down to 46 or 47 and he still hasnt got them all running and that bothers him....I know the fire burns in him to get them all running just once but its very unrealsitic and he knows that. I dont ever want to have tractors lying around that I cant use...if I have one apart its because its my only project :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
DerickS said:
Its kind of a weird perosnal thing for me folks....I mentally cant have a tractor in the shed that wont run or is in "project" condition....There fore I will never let them rest. Batteries, gas, and general maintenance is going to eat up ALOT of our cash flow for these things. Thats why I feel like I'm done except for a Case....I hope that I explained that well enough....I'm kinda of a complicated collector! :lol:
Not all tractors have batteries. Some have what are called cranks. :lol: I think if I could collect old tractors it would be one medium size one then a Farmall Cub, an Allis G, Massy pony, and so on. My choice for a young kid would be a JD H with electric start. Sorry don't really know anything about a Case. Vern

·
Registered
926 Posts
I hope You are able to stick with it better than i can. I am ok until certain models of Caterpillar or Minneapoilis Moline come up for sale. And uh oh if i run into certain pre 60 model Dodge pickups. Theres an area also down in north Texas i avoid at all costs; reason being theres a number of B61 Mack trucks that are just toooo tempting to resist. I don't also go around where they're selling old fishermens collections; at last count i have over 20 of the old style Ambassadeur reels; from the 5000 through the 7000; and the funny thing is they are all fishing ready. On the other hand i do have most of the parts to rebuild most of my junk. Since You haven't been bitten by the bug as long as this old red neck; there's still hope for You :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mgood said:
I hope You are able to stick with it better than i can. I am ok until certain models of Caterpillar or Minneapoilis Moline come up for sale. And uh oh if i run into certain pre 60 model Dodge pickups. Theres an area also down in north Texas i avoid at all costs; reason being theres a number of B61 Mack trucks that are just toooo tempting to resist. I don't also go around where they're selling old fishermens collections; at last count i have over 20 of the old style Ambassadeur reels; from the 5000 through the 7000; and the funny thing is they are all fishing ready. On the other hand i do have most of the parts to rebuild most of my junk. Since You haven't been bitten by the bug as long as this old red neck; there's still hope for You :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope not! :lol: I do have two plymouth Dusters....and my girls ahve 6 pedal tractors which I love to find too...and I do love die cast tractors.....OH BOY here I go :shock: :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts