Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Everything I have is overworked...trucks and trailers are always overloaded, crowbars are bent, chainsaws are always dull....even MrsMassey does double loads of laundry....so it only stands to reason that the little Kubota would follow suit. :D :D

They say Kubota means "Little Bull" in Japanese, so I figure if bulls are tough then so the tractors must be too. Gotta admit, it's been hard to do, but I finally succeeded in breaking it almost in two !!!! :( :( Well, it didn't fall apart all the way, the hydraulic lines and the loader frame was still holding it together....

I was up at the neighbor lady's cleaning up a bunch of stuff, brush, broken tree tops and just generally pushing piles way off down in the woods. I was pushing into piles fifty years of metallic discard (politically correct way of saying appliances and car parts) and just general junk. An old '65 or '66 3/4 ton Chevy with four flat tires and a bed full of more junk was in the way....

....Sticking the loader under a corner, raising the loader would take a little weight off the truck and then raise the back of the tractor a foot or so off the ground. Well, now that was interesting, because now the truck would move a couple feet at a time. Not bad for a gutsy "Little Bull"....About the third or fourth grunnnnnnnnnt, there was a rapid series of pops and just that quick the damage was done.

There were (16) 10 mm x 1.25 pitch motor mounting bolts and every single one was snapped off flush with the block !!!! 'Twas a chore, but all came out with an e-z out...dodged the bullet yet again. Now I'm thinking those Japanese engineers should make the hydraulics pop the bypass just under the shear strength of the bolts...because they should KNOW that dummies like me are gonna abuse these things way beyond their capacity !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe I should send them a picture of the anvil I broke with a rubber mallet, maybe they'd take the hint...But then again, I take credit for the failure knowing I sent a boy to do a man's work...the 4500 Ford backhoe was back at the shop enjoying a well needed rest. :lol: :lol: There is no "life of leisure" nor "rest for the wicked"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Biker Dave ,that wasn't bad luck for Wendell ,. it just made the start of a good story for him to share with us. The way Wendell tell it, it was fun doing it so thereforth no problem that he won't enjoy taking care of. Anther good post & pics Wendell .

·
Administrator
3,959 Posts
Killed Under Brutal Overload--Thoroughly Abused :eek: :roll:
Glad you got it resurrected. Least you know now how much it can take.
Now that 4500 would have went Faithfully Onward Relocating Debris. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
I'll bet it sounded scary. Did you think some was shooting at you :?: :eek:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigDaveinKY said:
Now BigDave, I've heard a LOT of quick wit before....but that one takes the CAKE !!!! :lol: :lol: You ain't just another pretty face are ya ??!! I'm still chuckling :lol: :lol: :lol: You're allright Dave, you are an OK guy for sure !!! Lazarus isn't quite resurrected from the dead yet, but I think I'm feeling a heartbeat...

Bikerdave, the good thing about tearing something up, is I get to go to town on the moto-sickle for parts...so I make sure I always FORGET something. ;) ;) ;) I was thinking of doing an online search to see if I can find parts in Kentucky or maybe New Hampshire or, or, or maybe IDAHO !!!

Wasn't too scary Jim, except I was really concerned about it losing the entire front end on the sloooooooowwwww ride back to my shop.....Chewed the fire out of the plastic fan blade though..... :( :( bummer

Oh well, such is life in the low rent district :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
BigDaveinKY said:

This would be a good place for the old ROFL emoticon we use to have on the old board!! This one will have to do...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Wendell
That part about you breaking an anvil with a rubber mallet. It could be that we're related. :D

·
Administrator
3,959 Posts
missouri massey man said:
Now BigDave, I've heard a LOT of quick wit before....but that one takes the CAKE !!!! :lol: :lol: You ain't just another pretty face are ya ??!! I'm still chuckling :lol: :lol: :lol: You're allright Dave, you are an OK guy for sure !!! Lazarus isn't quite resurrected from the dead yet, but I think I'm feeling a heartbeat....
Good luck getting your "Little Bull" back up on all fours. ;)
Glad you liked that Wendell, I always figured if I didn't bring a smile to someone's face, and/or make them think about something from a different perspective, then my day wasn't complete.
And there was always a couple of bosses, apprentice, other mechanics, or even building owners or managers that needed kept on their toes.
Once the Mayor of Louisville, (he avoided me after that) but that's a whole 'nuther story in itself. ;)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BigDaveinKY said:
Now BigDave, I've heard a LOT of quick wit before....but that one takes the CAKE !!!! :lol: :lol: You ain't just another pretty face are ya ??!! I'm still chuckling :lol: :lol: :lol: You're allright Dave, you are an OK guy for sure !!! Lazarus isn't quite resurrected from the dead yet, but I think I'm feeling a heartbeat....
Good luck getting your "Little Bull" back up on all fours. ;)
Glad you liked that Wendell, I always figured if I didn't bring a smile to someone's face, and/or make them think about something from a different perspective, then my day wasn't complete.
And there was always a couple of bosses, apprentice, other mechanics, or even building owners or managers that needed kept on their toes.
Once the Mayor of Louisville, (he avoided me after that) but that's a whole 'nuther story in itself. ;)
Consider your day MEGA-complete Dave. Just got a laugh out of my daughter also. Got it back on all fours just a little earlier this evening, loader brackets going on now, it'll be ready for the wrecking crew before ya know it !!! I kinda beefed up the side rails and used longer hardened bolts to re-assemble. There's a few minor maintenance items that's ready to be taken care of anyway.... ;) ;)

Send me one of those ' glass hammers ' Bikerdave...I got another anvil....

Steve, paddle across the creek and come help with your mallet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
168 Posts
well on the bright side .
you drove well limped home . no tow truck or two tow trucks .
lots of labor work , but little money .
not a real bad day all and all .

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I made two plates out of 3/8 x 3" flat stock sandwiched the frame to the block for additional strength. Prior to that, I used a 10mm x 1.25 tap and chased all 16 sets of threads. Went to the local farm supply store and picked up 10mm grade 8.8 bolts ( kind of a medium strength, less than that of a grade 8 ) about 1/2" longer than the originals to compensate for the extra meat on the sides of the frame.

Back on all four wheels, radiator in and loader mount all on with all new oversized grade 8 (SAE fine thread), having drilled all the existing mounts and holes larger. Almost done and ready for more abuse...I may even take the straight pipe off and re-install the muffler (maybe then I wouldn't disturb MrsMassey's afternoon nap) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Way to go!! Glad you gott'er bolted back together and ready for work. Didn't use any glass hammers on that job!! :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Great job Wendell :!: When are you gonna test it out?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
[quote="Jim in NC":2je92w76]Great job Wendell :!: When are you gonna test it out?
Later today, my friend, later today we will re-test its mettle... Maybe I'll go easy for a while :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:2je92w76]

Yes Wendell it deserves to be treated gently after that big shake up to it and the glass hammer threat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts