Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After beating up the Bahamas it has decided to tour the southeast coast. The popular speculation is where, if anywhere, it will make landfall. I believe the media and some politicians will be sad if it misses land. Something that would obviously be a great thing to me seems to be viewed as unfavorable to the power brokers.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Jim are you going to sit on the porch and watch it go past?

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve I will most likely be outside in it unless it brings some beneficial rain. We will be cooler for one day!

·
Administrator
3,884 Posts
My sister in Deltona, FL was sure glad it decided to take a tour of the coast.
The early models showed it knocking on her front door.

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My sister in Deltona, FL was sure glad it decided to take a tour of the coast.
The early models showed it knocking on her front door.
So was Miss Joanne's cousin near Orlando. I spoke with my younger brother who got mom's place at Ocean Isle. He told me a tornado had hit Calabash and a waterspout was confirmed off the coast of Ocean Isle. Dorian is making an appearance for sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So one couldn't say that Dorian breezed by many states without visiting, it decided it had to put on a show, it's finale. During last night it made a quick little jog to the north after passing Cape Carteret which allowed it to cross land at Cape Hatteras ,he last possible place.

The eyewall of the storm passed within 20 miles or so of my son-in-law's brother and family at Harker's Island. They are on the mainland, operate a.shrimp boat, and are fine. That area and the Outer Banks are just barely above sea level.

Lots of flooding usually result from such storms. A "wall of water", or storm surge is pushed onshore and up the sounds and rivers ahead of the storm by the high winds. When the eye passes by an area and the wind comes from the opposite direction, water is pushed from inland back to the ocean.

Islands are flooded from both coastal and inland water, and roads are washed out which literally makes more islands. In a day or two I suspect to hear NC #12 highway is washed away in many places. About 800 people remain on Ocracoke Island which during good times is only accessible by ferries.

We will see more pics in the days to come. I did find one, and I have seen FWD tractors on the beaches rebuilding dunes. They will have plenty of work to do.

1567815062024391004920001.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Missouri's Disaster Relief team was headed to the southeast corner of North Carolina but after Dorian passed and damage was minimal the team was sent back to Missouri.

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Missouri's Disaster Relief team was headed to the southeast corner of North Carolina but after Dorian passed and damage was minimal the team was sent back to Missouri.
Lots of folks staged along Dorian's route moved along just as Dorian to be ready to help those in need when necessary. Local folks here also went down east. A BIG thanks to all of them. The link below is a collection of storm damage pics in two local papers today.

https://www.greensboro.com/news/trending/photos-scenes-from-the-carolinas-as-dorian-moves-up-us/collection_4b35cd3c-f089-5fb3-b06b-1fe62d845106.html#1

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
Dorian took 24 hours to go past us. No horrible wind gusts. Wind was 12 mph out of the northeast. From that direction it brings us cold air. Normally we are 75F still. Yesterday it was 57F. Oh and a inch and three quarters of rain. It will help keeping the lawns growing.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Jim thanks for the link. makes me appreciate my mountains even more.
Lots of folks staged along Dorian's route moved along just as Dorian to be ready to help those in need when necessary. Local folks here also went down east. A BIG thanks to all of them. The link below is a collection of storm damage pics in two local papers today.

https://www.greensboro.com/news/trending/photos-scenes-from-the-carolinas-as-dorian-moves-up-us/collection_4b35cd3c-f089-5fb3-b06b-1fe62d845106.html#1

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it remained a hurricane until sometime yesterday. I saw a report of rainfall and wind speeds at some coastal New England cities last night. It was still packing a punch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts