Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This field was planted on June 5. I was on my way taking a brother his birthday card, and folks were setting it as I went by. Today I was taking another brother his birthday card. It hasn't grown much. I don't know how soybeans in the background seem to stay green when it's this dry.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

·
Super Moderator
8,977 Posts
Some of it appears to have perished. Like you I am surprised given the toughness of tobacco, and the contrast with the beans in the background. It almost makes me wonder if the baccer has has some sort of chemical injury.

·
Administrator
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim what hasn't succumbed to the dry is sitting there looking like it was just set a few days ago. It has had less than a half inch of rain since it was planted. I passed one other tobacco field hat wasn't much better. It was planted a couple of weeks earlier and got a few more leaves and about a foot tall before it stalled. I thought I took a photo of a cornfield all withered and turning brown, but when I got home it wasn't saved. The grass and white clover along the road bank in the foreground is typical of what folk's yards look like in the area. Today and tomorrow is our best chance of rain for the next ten days. At every forecast the time window and amount predicted to fall seem to keep shrinking. A couple of inches of rain would be nice and likely not produce any runoff.

·
Super Moderator
8,977 Posts
Including our bad storm Tuesday before last we have had 8 inches of rain over 12 days. Gardens are drowning. Watermelons and cantelopes are splitting in the field. Grass and morning glories taking everything. Farming being feast or famine is on display here.

·
Administrator
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looked a lot better today after a few weeks of good rains, but I don't think it will make much of a crop.
It should be 4' to 5' tall with leaves blocking out the rows and ready to be or being topped by now.
Now it's mid growth and 2' to 3' tall. Shorter days will soon signal it to start topping its flowers then start dying back.

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Blue

·
Super Moderator
8,977 Posts
I hope the farmer has good insurance. My guess is even if one could top it as late as Sept. 1, it would not mature enuff to cut before a possible frost up your way. It's hard to tell, but is a good stand there? I remember a couple dry years when us and other area growers did not get finished topping until about Sept. 1. We were pushing the weather timelines here too. People here did not get their crop in until the second or third week of October and one of the largest farmers close by finished after the first of November.

·
Administrator
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a good stand Jim. It doesn't look like he lost many plants. He will get a crop from it. Right now about half. How much for sure depends on when it starts shooting blooms. As short as it is some looked ready to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts