Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This field was planted on June 5. I was on my way taking a brother his birthday card, and folks were setting it as I went by. Today I was taking another brother his birthday card. It hasn't grown much. I don't know how soybeans in the background seem to stay green when it's this dry.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

·
Administrator
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim what hasn't succumbed to the dry is sitting there looking like it was just set a few days ago. It has had less than a half inch of rain since it was planted. I passed one other tobacco field hat wasn't much better. It was planted a couple of weeks earlier and got a few more leaves and about a foot tall before it stalled. I thought I took a photo of a cornfield all withered and turning brown, but when I got home it wasn't saved. The grass and white clover along the road bank in the foreground is typical of what folk's yards look like in the area. Today and tomorrow is our best chance of rain for the next ten days. At every forecast the time window and amount predicted to fall seem to keep shrinking. A couple of inches of rain would be nice and likely not produce any runoff.

·
Administrator
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looked a lot better today after a few weeks of good rains, but I don't think it will make much of a crop.
It should be 4' to 5' tall with leaves blocking out the rows and ready to be or being topped by now.
Now it's mid growth and 2' to 3' tall. Shorter days will soon signal it to start topping its flowers then start dying back.

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Blue

·
Administrator
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a good stand Jim. It doesn't look like he lost many plants. He will get a crop from it. Right now about half. How much for sure depends on when it starts shooting blooms. As short as it is some looked ready to start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts